good program for webcam chat??

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone have any recommendations for how best to do webcam chat? I tried yahoo messenger, and omg, am I horrified. It came with so much crap ... it even stuck a yahoo toolbar into my firefox!! :mad: I feel like my computer was mutilated. The only other free way to do this, that I know of, is Windows Live Messenger ... but I'm afraid of using that, too. It can't possibly be a neat and trim software without extra crap oozing out the edges either, can it?? It will probably be not as bad as this yahoo junk, though. Okay the third option I know of is getting Trillian Pro (which I'm confident won't let me down), but it's $25! =\.

Anyone know any other alternative??

I just use Windows Live Messager with Live Messenger Plus and Stuffplug 3 for tweaking. Suits me fine.

You can use Windows Live Messenger with nothing else. As far as what it installs, make sure you pay attention when installing the program to disable things like browser toolbars.

There are check boxes, that...if un-checked will not install any of that crap.

Yahoo has a great cam chat feature too. You can throttle quality versus bandwidth using Yahoo Messenger.

Another vote for MSN Live Messenger too. Just uncheck EVERYTHING when you install it. It's all junk :p

Alright, cool. Thanks for the suggestions!

Does it work fine with regular windows messenger too? That is, the one that already comes included in WinXP, not the one you download online? When I launch it, it has "video conversation" button on the bottom but haven't given it a shot yet.
Thx.

yes it works on all versions of MSN Messenger.

But I can't tell you if you will or won't be able to camchat with someone if your MSN Messenger versions are different from one another.

In the past, such was the case for Yahoo. If two person had different versions, file transfer and video chat will not work. I don't know about now. I haven't camchatted in ages, and I use Pidgin to IM anyways.

Back