Good price on 42" Westinghouse?

texuspete00 said:

Please do not take this as thread crapping, but some folks seem to feel this is one of the least-quality HD tvs on the market, even for that price you probably wont be happy.

I will outline the problems I have heard and You folks can ignor it or take it in to consideration.

a) There have been multiple reports that the monitor will not turn and often takes several tries. (That is the biggie for me, faulty power supply in most units)
b) Some users have reported the speakers crackle and or pop quite freqently for no reason. (Not so frequest, but could be a wide speread defect)
c) No ATSC or NTSC Tuner built in (which is why it is inexpensive)
d) Built in sub is Useless (who uses it anyways?)

Now, I am really Happy that a US Company can make a competative product that gets people this excited. Westinghouse as a name has been around sine 1886, but this company, Westinghouse Digital Electronics has only been around since 1998. Although I have yet to see this model in person, I have seen several of their products over the last few years and they were all low quality. If Westinghouse got their shit together for this one, then go for it by all means. I just don't have confidence in their product.

Now, if you don't mind those issues, then go for it.

The reviews are great? I wonder how many have experience with the 42", not the 37". Or if they are more or less equivalent.

Thats the kind of thing I was worried about. Something like that coming around and make me want to kick my own ass. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll mull it over and see if they drop her down again.

Actually a recent artical in a magazine (pcmag or computershopper perhaps, concluded this was one of the only decent and readily available 1080p tv's around. look for that review on zdnet

http://tv.about.com/od/lcdproductreviews/fr/WestingLVM42w2.htm
there's a good review, 4.5 stars out of 5. you should really research before you dogg on a tv without knowing what you are talking about.
4.5 stars on amazon average out of 5 reviewers.
hometheatermag rated it:
Overall Rating: 91
The LVM-42w2 may lack many features found in LCDs by the big-name manufacturers, but it understands its purpose: Render HDTV, and render it very well. The fact that it costs just $2,799 makes that HD image look even better.
out of 100.. pretty high.

i think that should shut up the naysayers,except for the ones who actually OWN this monitor.

TheBluePill said:
Please do not take this as thread crapping, but most folks seem to feel this is one of the least-quality HD tvs on the market, even for that price you probably wont be happy.
btw if you didn't figure it out already the previous was directed at your 'thread crap' which it was in fact.

best bet however, is to wait for the bigger and updated westinghouse 47". it should be the best model yet.

edit: by wait i mean for a sale.

If you want to go LCD instead of Plasma, also take a look at the 42 inch Sceptre that does 1080 from Costco as well for 1799 plus shipping.

I think that the Costco return policy will also refund your shipping costs if you want to return the set. A coworker bought this Sceptre and has been very happy with it. He is using an Oppo upscaling dvd player with it.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11098479&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Here is a review of the Westinghouse also:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/westinghouse-LVM-42w2p1.php

Take a look through avsforum.com for comments on the Sceptre and Westy LCDs and the Vizio Plasma:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Not sure where you're getting your info from, The BluePill, but the 42w2 is an excellent HD monitor at any price, and made an unbeatable value by it's price. While there have been lengthy threads about it over at AVS Forum, the complaints about this monitor stem primarily from the 'lockup' issue. Aside from that, it has been criticized for faults stemming from being an LCD (banding, mostly, and the usual smattering of dead-pixel reports) and can be found in almost any LCD. But HD reproduction has been praised time and again, and SD looks as good as one can expect.

Check out this review - http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/westinghouse-LVM-42w2p1.php

They feel it's a steal at the MSRP. I got it for about $1300 less. I think I did alright.

Now, all I need is for Best Buy to actually deliver the damn thing. Availability has been the other major complaint, obviously a result of high-demand. And why not, for $1500 I couldn't have even gotten a 42" EDTV.

The 47" could be interesting, though, but I imagine it'll come in at >$2500 off the bat. Way past my budget.

EDIT - NACZ3 beat me to it. :) I would have considered the Sceptre as well, but I don't feel comfortable buying a TV that I haven't seen in person, and no Costco near me carries it. I will say I was ready to jump on the 37" Vizio as an alternative, up until I scored the super deal on the Westy. The Vizio looks very good, and now the price has dropped to $1200. Very tempting, especially with the return policy by its side.

Ok I grabbed a 42" 1080P Westy this afternoon for $1499 and I'll explain how I did it. Still have yet to set it up, but I'll post pics,info later if anyone wants.

Basically I walked in and talked to a couple of the sales reps, trying to feel out which ones had some knowledge and which ones were complete idiots.

After finding one that seemed to have a good grasp on technology, I asked told him heres the deal.

I want this monitor for $1499 which you were selling it at a couple weeks ago, and I'm willing to open a Best Buy account and purchase a upconverting dvd player, wall mount, HDMI cable & service plan.

He said he needed to talk to his manager and came back about 5 minutes later and said not a problem.

Total cost around $2200. Now I know everyone is thinking, but you got screwed when you bought the $80 HDMI cable and the $200 wall mount,etc,etc.

Sure I did, which is why I stopped at a different Best Buy on the way home and returned everything except the TV and 4 year service plan.

He also told me that the employee cost was $1570, and best buy's employee price is cost PLUS 5% meaning that Best Buy broke even on the TV and would have made a killing on accessories from me.

Just my way of sticking it to the man. Now its off to set this beast up. :cool:

noahabel said:
Not sure where you're getting your info from, The BluePill, but the 42w2 is an excellent HD monitor at any price, and made an unbeatable value by it's price. While there have been lengthy threads about it over at AVS Forum, the complaints about this monitor stem primarily from the 'lockup' issue. Aside from that, it has been criticized for faults stemming from being an LCD (banding, mostly, and the usual smattering of dead-pixel reports) and can be found in almost any LCD. But HD reproduction has been praised time and again, and SD looks as good as one can expect.

I wasn't necessarily judging it by its picture quality as much as its build quality. But If I am wrong, then I can admit it. In my opinion it is not of High quality for several reasons, but please don't let that stop you. Much like the first APEX dvd players were so highly reviewed for their multi-region ability and macromedia unlock, the unit itself had terrible play back quality, locked up frequently and you were lucky for the voices to sync with the picture. I feel strongly that these TVs will give you folks some problems in the long run, but please dont take my word for it. I will remain the lone dessenter here and wish you happy hunting for a deal on this thing.

-TBP

SGSeeker said:
You know, thats some really good work. I applaud you.

Having worked at best buy before, both in home theatre, PC & Home Office and as a Geek Squad manager I know that the money is in the accessories. The HDMI cable I picked out is made/marketed by Best Buy, just like Dynex is Best Buy's PC brand. Rocketfish is Best Buy's Home theatre line.

As as example we would sell Dynex USB A-B cables for $29.99 but our cost on them was less than $3. Monster cables are another example, they on average have a 50-60% markup on them. So buy purchasing the total package all the manager sees is that they are above budget for accessories, service plan and credit app's.

Sure the store I returned it to just shit a brick when they realized that all of a suden they are negative for their budget numbers, but then again thats not really my problem. I wanted a 1080P LCD for $1500 and I got it.

I did try and use the 12% coupon too, but he stepped in quickly and stated that it was 12% off the regular price of $2000 but he did allow me to use it on another item, so I used it on a new upconvert slot load DVD/Divx player.

Another thing if any of you do purchase this from Best Buy in store, ask them where your local warehouse/distrubtion center is. The first available date for delivery for my area wasn't until July 11, which was weird since I live about 6 miles from the warehouse and they had 10 in stock. So I picked it up from the warehouse/distrubition center, and had it in the back of the car 20 mins later.

I'm sorry if I took this too off topic but I wanted to post that technique that I used to get this, I've used many of times at Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, just about any retail tech store. So the next time you are looking for a decent/good deal try the buddy buddy act with a sales person and see if they can work a deal for you. Worst thing they do is say no.

I bought this monitor a few weeks ago when it was on sale for 1500. I got the 4-year service plan and got it out the door for around 1800ish. I've been using it as a general monitor and HTPC monitor and I must say that I've had nothing but good things with it. Firmware 1.16, no lockups/dead pixels/banding that I have noticed. Overall its well built and I can't beat the picture for the price.

I'll post pics if anyone is curious...

HarvInSTL said:
Ok I grabbed a 42" 1080P Westy this afternoon for $1499 and I'll explain how I did it. Still have yet to set it up, but I'll post pics,info later if anyone wants.

Basically I walked in and talked to a couple of the sales reps, trying to feel out which ones had some knowledge and which ones were complete idiots.

After finding one that seemed to have a good grasp on technology, I asked told him heres the deal.

I want this monitor for $1499 which you were selling it at a couple weeks ago, and I'm willing to open a Best Buy account and purchase a upconverting dvd player, wall mount, HDMI cable & service plan.

He said he needed to talk to his manager and came back about 5 minutes later and said not a problem.

Total cost around $2200. Now I know everyone is thinking, but you got screwed when you bought the $80 HDMI cable and the $200 wall mount,etc,etc.

Sure I did, which is why I stopped at a different Best Buy on the way home and returned everything except the TV and 4 year service plan.

He also told me that the employee cost was $1570, and best buy's employee price is cost PLUS 5% meaning that Best Buy broke even on the TV and would have made a killing on accessories from me.

Just my way of sticking it to the man. Now its off to set this beast up. :cool:

Haha thats great! good job man

TheBluePill said:
I wasn't necessarily judging it by its picture quality as much as its build quality. But If I am wrong, then I can admit it. In my opinion it is not of High quality for several reasons, but please don't let that stop you. Much like the first APEX dvd players were so highly reviewed for their multi-region ability and macromedia unlock, the unit itself had terrible play back quality, locked up frequently and you were lucky for the voices to sync with the picture. I feel strongly that these TVs will give you folks some problems in the long run, but please dont take my word for it. I will remain the lone dessenter here and wish you happy hunting for a deal on this thing.

-TBP

the least you can do is post why you have this opinion. Personal experience? other sources? You have to admit it's pretty lame to just pop in the thread with basically what amounts to a "they are teh SUCK!" post and not say why. In the post quoted above you say ".....In my opinion it is not of High quality for several reasons...." well, what are those reasons? And how did you come about them? I am in the process of researching HDTVs and have acumilated a fair amount of knowledge. I'm no expert, but I'm not a noob either. The buzz on this set is positive. As with any major appliance in wide release, not every single one is completely problem free. But at this time there is nothing to indicate any widespread or prevalent problem with this set, esp anything that couldn't be fixed with a bios revision.

TheBluePill said:
Please do not take this as thread crapping, but most folks seem to feel this is one of the least-quality HD tvs on the market.......

I ask again, who are these "most folks"? :confused:

Westinghouse makes some nice HD LCD equipment for a decent price. They do have a few models you want to stay away from but the LVM-42w2 isnt one of them.

Search the AVS forums for more info on the display, they have some really smart people over there. Most of the comments are positive on the unit.

Probably a decent deal, a no brainer if you want 1080p unless you're willing to wait for it to be cheaper. There's a lot of competition in 42" displays but it's all about price/performance, what you'll use it for, and what display you like the picture of best. The 1080p may be nice for future proofing. Or I s'pose there's always a bigger DLP for the same price ;)

topcat989 said:
the least you can do is post why you have this opinion. Personal experience? other sources? You have to admit it's pretty lame to just pop in the thread with basically what amounts to a "they are teh SUCK!" post and not say why. In the post quoted above you say ".....In my opinion it is not of High quality for several reasons...." well, what are those reasons? And how did you come about them? I am in the process of researching HDTVs and have acumilated a fair amount of knowledge. I'm no expert, but I'm not a noob either. The buzz on this set is positive. As with any major appliance in wide release, not every single one is completely problem free. But at this time there is nothing to indicate any widespread or prevalent problem with this set, esp anything that couldn't be fixed with a bios revision.

I ask again, who are these "most folks"? :confused:

Dude, Buy It. its a wonderful TV and you will have years of enjoyment out of it.

I take everything back i said earlier, it is the best tv on the market and a steal at under $2K.

Everyone should own one.

Hehe, I hear you, TBP, no harm, no foul. I have just noticed a pattern on message boards of entire droves of consumers taking the word of one post as gospel and dismissing (or even unfairly touting) a product that deserves more discussion. 9 times out of 10, when you read someone say something like "I heard that the next generation of [blank] will offer x-ray goggles and a free lapdance from Jenna Jameson" they are simply regurgitating one thing some other random person wrote in a forum. It makes for bad info, and it spreads like wildfire.

So just saying that the TV is deficient really does a disservice to the the uninformed consumer. Refer them to your sources (yes, there are numerous issues discussed at AVS that some consider unforgivable) but explain also that the vast majority of those who have the television are happy with it. Also consider that the complaints are stemming from a vocal minority on a forum designed as a venue for over-educated technophiles to catalog their infinite complaints about products that can never promise perfection, ESPECIALLY at this price-point.

Anyway, sorry for the sorta-slam. Just trying to improve the level of discourse over here.

noahabel said:
Hehe, I hear you, TBP, no harm, no foul. I have just noticed a pattern on message boards of entire droves of consumers taking the word of one post as gospel and dismissing (or even unfairly touting) a product that deserves more discussion. 9 times out of 10, when you read someone say something like "I heard that the next generation of [blank] will offer x-ray goggles and a free lapdance from Jenna Jameson" they are simply regurgitating one thing some other random person wrote in a forum. It makes for bad info, and it spreads like wildfire.

So just saying that the TV is deficient really does a disservice to the the uninformed consumer. Refer them to your sources (yes, there are numerous issues discussed at AVS that some consider unforgivable) but explain also that the vast majority of those who have the television are happy with it. Also consider that the complaints are stemming from a vocal minority on a forum designed as a venue for over-educated technophiles to catalog their infinite complaints about products that can never promise perfection, ESPECIALLY at this price-point.

Anyway, sorry for the sorta-slam. Just trying to improve the level of discourse over here.

Thats Cool Man, No harm done.

I have been holding off on buying an HD myself, I am pretty picky about my electronics and tend to go for "best in class" type gear about one generation or so back when the price is right. I used to work for an electronics shop and sold my fare share of TVs and have seen a lot of the "greatest thing for ony half the price" type stuff blow up in folks faces many times in the long-run and I have become a bit cautious. That being said, the Westinghouse set outlined in the deal above has far more positive praise than negative in the research I have done over the last couple of days. So I really do take back what I said about it, as I have been leary of their previous models and un-impressed. I hope westinghouse is on the right track from here on out to make great products, but I am not ready to exhume George Westinghouse to thank him personally..just yet. :)

I too have never heard of westinghouse until i read about it on avs as well as on this forum. I was skeptical at first because they were way cheaper than your name brand sony and samsung. I finally got to see it at BB one day and i can say i was blown away by the picture quality of this tv.

I took the plunge and was able to purchase the tv at a very good price. $1350 + tax for the 42w1 westy.

As far as the issues w/ the tv i have version 1.16 and so far no lockups and banding (which is a common problem w/ lcd tech) is not visible or if it is there, you have to find it. i sure as hell don't see it.

And i heard the lockups only occur when the tv is not in use for a while ( i.e. several days) and is easily cured by unplugging the power cord and plugging it in.
In any case this was a heluva steal for a 1080p 42" lcd at this price. Lets just say i didn't even bother looking at the name brand Sony's and samsungs. I feel like your paying an extra $1000 just for the brand. And i heard sony's customer service is not the greatest, can't really say anything about samsung.

here's some pics of the tv in hd...not the greatest pics since i have a crappy point and click camera. But for those of you who are curious just go and see the tv in action and you'll know what us who own the tv are talking about.

http://user1033154.sf2000.registeredsite.com//westy/20.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registeredsite.com//westy/22.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registeredsite.com//westy/23.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registeredsite.com//westy/24.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registeredsite.com//westy/25.jpg

Blur2u said:
I took the plunge and was able to purchase the tv at a very good price. $1350 + tax for the 42w1 westy.

How'd you manage to get the set for $1350+ tax? I'm looking into some LCD sets right now, and if I could get the Westinghouse for that price, I'm sold.

Blur2u said:
I too have never heard of westinghouse until i read about it on avs as well as on this forum. I was skeptical at first because they were way cheaper than your name brand sony and samsung. I finally got to see it at BB one day and i can say i was blown away by the picture quality of this tv.

As far as the issues w/ the tv i have version 1.16 and so far no lockups and banding (which is a common problem w/ lcd tech) is not visible or if it is there, you have to find it. i sure as hell don't see it.

And i heard the lockups only occur when the tv is not in use for a while ( i.e. several days) and is easily cured by unplugging the power cord and plugging it in.
In any case this was a heluva steal for a 1080p 42" lcd at this price. Lets just say i didn't even bother looking at the name brand Sony's and samsungs. I feel like your paying an extra $1000 just for the brand. And i heard sony's customer service is not the greatest, can't really say anything about samsung.

here's some pics of the tv in hd...not the greatest pics since i have a crappy point and click camera. But for those of you who are curious just go and see the tv in action and you'll know what us who own the tv are talking about.

http://user1033154.sf2000.registeredsite.com//westy/20.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registeredsite.com//westy/22.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registeredsite.com//westy/23.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registeredsite.com//westy/24.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registeredsite.com//westy/25.jpg

Am I the only person that looked at the first 2 pics and thought it was the first level of Farcry?

Let me say this I don't own this TV but when I went shopping for an lcd in two different Shit Buy (BB) stores in the NY area and the sales men didn't have anything good to say about Westinghouse lcd tv's.:confused:

They say they don't make commission so I wonder why they wouldn't recommand a cheaper TV if its really a good buy. :confused:
So based on price an what I've read I'm going with Olevia LT37HVS Black 37.
But I wish you good luck with what ever you buy. :)

LoveMyQ90U said:
They say they don't make commission so I wonder why they wouldn't recommand a cheaper TV if its really a good buy. :confused:

I'm not sure if thats true or not, but if they don't earn commission, I can tell you why they don't try to sell you sets like the Westinghouse. I'm willing to bet that stores like Best Buy don't make much off of cheaper/budget sets like the Westinghouse, while they probably make much more off of sets by Samsung, Sharp, and Sony. Therefore, they will try and get customers to buy the more expensive sets which will earn the store more money and keep the boss happy.

I have the 37" model and it is a great set for the price. I use it as my computer monitor as well as HDTV and Xbox 360. The black levels suck, but for the money, you can't beat the picture. I've had zero problems with the TV and love the picture.

zero002021 said:
How'd you manage to get the set for $1350+ tax? I'm looking into some LCD sets right now, and if I could get the Westinghouse for that price, I'm sold.

It was on sale on june 10th at BB for $1499, it was a one day sale. On the same day there was a 10% coupon for clearance tv. I was able to use that coupon to take another $150 off the already low price of $1499. The coupon didn't scan but i was able to convince the manager that since the tv was heavily dicounted it had to be on clearance. He agreed w/ no problems and just deducted the 10% of the $1499.

I also had an olevia 26" hvx lcd tv and promtly sold it the same day i got the westy. btw the syntax olevia tv's are great! they have very good picture quality. i was able to sell that for $600 so it wasn't much to upgrade to 42". All in all it worked out great.

btw for people who say that there is no tuner. most of the time when you subcribe for cable or sat service you'll end up getting a tuner box anyways. So majority of the poeple don't even use the built in tuners.

zero002021 said:
I'm not sure if thats true or not, but if they don't earn commission, I can tell you why they don't try to sell you sets like the Westinghouse. I'm willing to bet that stores like Best Buy don't make much off of cheaper/budget sets like the Westinghouse, while they probably make much more off of sets by Samsung, Sharp, and Sony. Therefore, they will try and get customers to buy the more expensive sets which will earn the store more money and keep the boss happy.
And I'd imagine that they have plenty of incentive to sell as much as possible, dollar-wise. An AVS member sort of stuck it to them by asking for the TV at the $1500 bargain price in exchange for applying for a BB card and buying a service plan, DVD player, expensive HDMI cable and power center. They went for it and he promptly returned everything but the TV and service plan at another BB on his way home. Pretty slick. If their motivation wasn't the commission on the TV sale, then they obviously had an incentive to load up on the sale of other accessories and have a total sale that looks way good to department managers.

All that notwithstanding, most of the time the staff in BB don't have the foggiest fracking clue about what they're selling, and often spew the same brand-bias BS we, as informed consumers, hope to avoid. The average yokel can walk in there and feel his extra $1000 for the Sony equivalent was worth it, but I'd hope we can prove that sometimes a cheaper alternative is just as good, if not better, and the extra money saved can better insulate us from the rapid price shifts and technology rollouts of consumer electronics.

Now, when I'm ready for a new DLP for the living room, I may just have to try that accessory schtick. Sounds kinda fun.

noahabel said:
And I'd imagine that they have plenty of incentive to sell as much as possible, dollar-wise. An AVS member sort of stuck it to them by asking for the TV at the $1500 bargain price in exchange for applying for a BB card and buying a service plan, DVD player, expensive HDMI cable and power center. They went for it and he promptly returned everything but the TV and service plan at another BB on his way home. Pretty slick.

Look one page back...

Personally when I was working at BB, I DID recommend the Westinghouses. I thought they had a good picture.. As good as the Sharps? Hell no, but at half the price or more I personally could live with the difference. Now I havent seen the newest models, and quite possibly the picture is even better than in previous models. I dont think you can really go wrong with one myself. But thats IMO.

noahabel said:
Now, when I'm ready for a new DLP for the living room, I may just have to try that accessory schtick. Sounds kinda fun.

Go Samsung. I still believe they have the best DLPs out there. Toshibas have a great picture as well.I never cared for the Mitsubishis myself. They have to have the most god awful remotes and menus of any TV out there.

TheBluePill said:
Dude, Buy It. its a wonderful TV and you will have years of enjoyment out of it.

I take everything back i said earlier, it is the best tv on the market and a steal at under $2K.

Everyone should own one.

dude, i don't understand. I have no emotional investment one way or the other as far as the westy goes. I was just wondering where you got your info that you formed your opinion on. Instead you reply with blatent sarcasm. I'm in the market (soon) for an HDTV, and my sources were so far mostly positive on it. You come out and post that it sucks, and I don't care, i don't work for westinghouse, i just wonder, "where did that info come from?" maybe it's a good source i don't know about. So why does it seem to be such a big deal to say where you got your info from? :confused:

Most home theatre people don't reccomend the westinghouse because they see how many come back broken or returned ><

Not saying they are not a good unit, my parents purchased one using my discount when they first came out and love it. I think the picture is good, we just send out a LOT of the westinghouses to our service center to ger repaired... just chiming in from experience.

Back