Good pop up stopper while even playing games

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
Well the thread title says it all. is there a pop up stopper to work quietly and fine with out pop ups 24/7? with out making a sound and having any thing show while it takes pop ups away

If your getting pop-ups at random times, you don't need a pop-up stopper...you need to get rid of the spyware on your system. If you want just a normal web page pop-up stopper, the Google Toolbar works as well as anything else out there.

Like djnes says... definately check for spyware on your PC.

There are several FREE utilities to check for spyware.

I'd recommend Lavasoft's Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com) and Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org).

If you're getting popups from the messenger service... (Gray windows that pop up having all text messages trying to sell you stuff "NOT RELATED TO IE") You'll need to disable the Windows Messenger service if you have XP. (This is not MSN Messenger)

Go get Ad-Ware . Make sure you update it to get the most recent reference file.

Second go download Firefox . Pop up blocking is turned on by default, install what ever plugins you may require (java, sockwave, flash), make firefox your default browser.

uninstall ALL of your popup blocking software. You won't need it after this. Do more with less as I always say.

What must everone say get firefox....while your at it, get rid fo windows too! Why the hell would I or anyone else want to DL a browser that you need to DL all the plug ins to get it to work? And, in the end, you won't like using it because your so use to using IE.....

But, yeah, get spybot/adaware and the google tool bar. Zone alarm will also block a lot of ads also. You know what an ad supported site looks like w/ no ads? :eek:

sc0tty8 said:
What must everone say get firefox....while your at it, get rid fo windows too! Why the hell would I or anyone else want to DL a browser that you need to DL all the plug ins to get it to work? And, in the end, you won't like using it because your so use to using IE.....

But, yeah, get spybot/adaware and the google tool bar. Zone alarm will also block a lot of ads also. You know what an ad supported site looks like w/ no ads? :eek:

I sincerely hope that you are not trying to start a flame war or something with that post.......I'll tell you why people recommend Firefox, its superior.

To answer your post, why the hell would anyone want to continue to use a browser that has a new security hole found nearly every week? I get it, because it makes much more sense to get 3 programs to do all the same function (block popups), versus getting 1 piece of software that does the same thing. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO INSTALL MORE ON YOUR COMPUTER THAN YOU NEED?

And what is this bullshit about going back it IE because its what you're used to?
The interface is 99% identical. Same menus, the same buttons. The same address bar.

Getting plugins is no longer an issue. You only need about 10 minutes to get all the plugins you need. Its not like its a reacurring issue.

Blowing away windows, thats a great idea too Gentoo

Ad-ware and Firefox, thats all you need.

I'll agree that the reoccuring security holes in IE suck bad, but they even find them in FireFox (Though not nearly as many :rolleyes: )

If you get SP2 for WinXP it has a built in Pop-Up stopper as well as an add-ons manager that allows you to enable/disable/uninstall add-ins and plug-ins for IE.

I'll admit, FireFox is actually a great browser, but for those who don't want to make the "Conversion", IE still works fine. SP2 just adds a little more functionality that makes it similar to FireFox.

hmmm....lets see...everyone convert to firefox, everyone use it, no one use windows/ie, oh, all of a sudden firefox is the bad guy, firefox has the security holes. I have not had any probs with IE, I will stick with IE. I am willing to bet if windows and linux where to trade places, they would have just as many problems, the fact of the matter is that, MS has the most market share and is the most widley used, so, yes, you are going to have more problems and hear about these prolems and everything is running the same OS, so, yeah, they directly go after windows users.

sc0tty8 said:
hmmm....lets see...everyone convert to firefox, everyone use it, no one use windows/ie....
The big distinction is that FF is not tied tightly to the OS the way IE/Win is. I think the argument as a whole applies excellently to the OS security stance, but applications aren't popular exploit targets unless they give a hook to bigger and better things.

sc0tty8 said:
hmmm....lets see...everyone convert to firefox, everyone use it, no one use windows/ie, oh, all of a sudden firefox is the bad guy, firefox has the security holes. I have not had any probs with IE, I will stick with IE. I am willing to bet if windows and linux where to trade places, they would have just as many problems, the fact of the matter is that, MS has the most market share and is the most widley used, so, yes, you are going to have more problems and hear about these prolems and everything is running the same OS, so, yeah, they directly go after windows users.

Yeah maybe, but we don't really know for sure, and it doesn't matter, what it is, is what it is, can't change it. so i would rather have nearly everyone use windows/IE but me, so that spyware, ads, viruses, exploits target them and not me.

i dont have a firewall..:(

except i dont even have a virus protection program

I run a firewall, and, I have no probs. All of my clients computers I work on, they get a firewall....

You should not get pop ups at random times ever. Use adaware to get rid of it. Firefox, despite someone's sicko love afair with IE, is your best bet to prevent it from happening again...so long as you run adaware everyonce in awhile to get rid of cookies and garbage that gets collected from websites.

Back