Good Packaging Software that isn't Expensive?

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
Does anyone know of a good application for packaging software such as EXE and MSI files that is not ridiculously expensive? I was looking at Advanced Installer, WinINSTALL, and Wise, but they look to be fairly expensive. Something free and no more than about $200 would be nice.

The packaged software would be used to install individually on clients' machines or pushed through Altiris. So I guess it can't be restricted by licenses or cost an arm and a leg for many licenses. Is there any such software?

I'll have to look into that. Also, is there an easy way to package a bunch of registry keys with a simple batch file to merge them into the registry? I already have the keys and batch file. I just really want to package them for an easy install that requires no more than double clicking.

There is a Windows Installer wizard that comes with Windows. It's buried somewhere in c:\windows

There is a Windows Installer wizard that comes with Windows. It's buried somewhere in c:\windows

The only Windows Installer I have heard of came with Windows 2000. I haven't heard of anything with newer operating systems.

The only Windows Installer I have heard of came with Windows 2000. I haven't heard of anything with newer operating systems.
I might have downloaded it from Microsofts Website and it dropped the icon into system32 or something. I'm actually looking for it right now and don't see it. I remember downloading Windows Installer 4.5 from their site a year or two ago. But I also may be thinking of seeing it on my old XP install. It's been a while.

Either way, you can download Windows Installer from MSFT.

yer inno or nsis

i use inno simply because it is well documented how to use it with python and py2exe

Either way, you can download Windows Installer from MSFT.

Windows Installer isn't a packaging program. It's a system that manages Windows Installations. It is what processes MSI files. The main executable is msiexec.exe which is used to execute and install applications from MSI files.

So far Inno seems pretty good, but how would I deploy a package that will run silently? I see that you can install a program using /silent, but most of our software is going to be pushed through Altiris. So I need a way for it to install without client interaction.

Are you sure you can't add /silent as a parameter in Altiris? It's been a long time since I've seen anything that handles installations that you couldn't add paramters.

It is possible, but I don't do that part of the administration. I guess I'll ask since it would be much easier if Altiris works that way.

Back