Good overclocking app for Radeons?

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
I want to OC my vid card, and I was wondering what is a good overclocking application for the Radeon GPUs? (besides AMD OverDrive)

MSI Afterburner, besides your card manufacturer may have some tweaking app, I've a Sapphire card and they have the Trixx software.

Afterburner, Trixx, both work pretty well. Both have their quirks as well.

If you Crossfire (like me) you're pretty screwed unless you disable ULPS.

With Afterburner, you have to go into the software and "allow unofficial overclocking"
It's easy to do.....go to Guru3D forums, they have a good how-to there.

I haven't bothered lately.....but something tells me in the recesses of my brain.....AMD changed their driver software a while back making it more difficult to OC using Afterburner and other ulitities....but I could be wrong.....

It's always been such a PITA with Crossfire, I just take my cards to the Overdrive limits and call it a day.

If you Crossfire (like me) you're pretty screwed unless you disable ULPS.

With Afterburner, you have to go into the software and "allow unofficial overclocking"
It's easy to do.....go to Guru3D forums, they have a good how-to there.

I haven't bothered lately.....but something tells me in the recesses of my brain.....AMD changed their driver software a while back making it more difficult to OC using Afterburner and other ulitities....but I could be wrong.....

It's always been such a PITA with Crossfire, I just take my cards to the Overdrive limits and call it a day.

You're using old methods magoo! I use Afterburner and OC my CFX 7970s with ULPS still enabled. What I do is I install Asus' GPU Tweak and in its settings disable CCC OC limits (only need to do this after installing new drivers). Then I close it and launch my game. Once in game I alt-tab and launch Afterburner (in admin mode, otherwise GPU2's stats don't all show up). Then I load my OC profile, apply it, and get back to the game. It sounds like a lot of work, but in reality takes about 15-20sec...

I have an XFX vid card, will MSI Afterburner work with it?
Any recommendations in overclocking the GPU?

You're using old methods magoo! I use Afterburner and OC my CFX 7970s with ULPS still enabled. What I do is I install Asus' GPU Tweak and in its settings disable CCC OC limits (only need to do this after installing new drivers). Then I close it and launch my game. Once in game I alt-tab and launch Afterburner (in admin mode, otherwise GPU2's stats don't all show up). Then I load my OC profile, apply it, and get back to the game. It sounds like a lot of work, but in reality takes about 15-20sec...

I've tried that before with the ASUS Smart Doctor and the software was so buggy, it would bork my cards.
Not only that, but each time you change drivers you have to reload the ASUS software too.

My method was.....load drivers, load ASUS SmartDoctor, activate the disable OC limits, uninstall Smart Doctor, then adjust Afterburner.....yeah, when it worked it was awesome, but when it didn't all it did was blue screen everything.
Maybe GPU Tweak is more stable now than Smart Doctor was? who knows.

I have an XFX vid card, will MSI Afterburner work with it?
Any recommendations in overclocking the GPU?

Afterburner will work with any card, nvidia or AMD.
Only thing is sometimes you can't overvolt the card, due primarily to cheaper controllers used in some vendor's cards.....or the vendor locks down the ability to overvolt the card on purpose.

My 7970s are standard first release MSI cards, I think they have a dual BIOS if I'm not mistaken. I haven't had to think about that for a while, the second BIOS allows you to overclock the card, where I believe the factory set BIOS didnt....or some such thing, like I said I haven't had to think about it for a while because I haven't had the need to fuss with my OCs.
I have mine water cooled.
I run them at 1125/1400 stock volts all day long. Never had a problem.

If you just have one card, you can give what Farkle there said a try, it's really easy.
GPU Tweak allows you to set most any limits you want.
I have had my cards to 1200/1450 running single without any trouble.

Maybe GPU Tweak is more stable now than Smart Doctor was? who knows.

It's MUCH better. Before GPU Tweak I used to use Smart Doctor. With GPU Tweak you don't have to uninstall it after disabling the CCC clocks, just set it so it doesn't open on startup. I've never had any BSOD issues with using GPU Tweak to disable CCC limits.

It's MUCH better. Before GPU Tweak I used to use Smart Doctor. With GPU Tweak you don't have to uninstall it after disabling the CCC clocks, just set it so it doesn't open on startup. I've never had any BSOD issues with using GPU Tweak to disable CCC limits.

It works on Crossfire? Maybe I need to revisit this.:D

Back