Good one way file Sync solution?

Angry

Limp Gawd
I recently expanded the storage capacity of my media server, and Im reusing some of the drives I pulled from it in the process.

Ive set them up in a drive pool with Stablebit Drive pool software on a backup PC, and its given me enough space to backup what i need to.

However, Now Im in need of a one way file sync solution. I tried Bit sync, but after letting it run for over two days it hadnt managed to sync everything (its only a little over 2.5tb of data), between the two computers on my home LAN, even though I had restricted it to LAN only connections. It also pegged a 1tb drive for whatever reason. I dont think bit sync and Stable bit drive pool got along.

TLDR

I have two folders, one my media server, which I want to sync one way to a backup PC, without screwing with the folders on the media server.

On Windows I would prefer robocopy.
It can copy or sync folders, its very robust and included in Windows.

You can use it in CLI/batch mode ex as planned task. I even use it to sync millions of files on Windows (mailserver)

On Windows I would prefer robocopy.
It can copy or sync folders, its very robust and included in Windows.

You can use it in CLI/batch mode ex as planned task. I even use it to sync millions of files on Windows (mailserver)
++ for Robocopy, used it a lot and I have double checked it many times with beyond compare and windiff crc and it's been rock solid.

Reactions: Angry
like this
FreeFileSync is what I have used a fair bit.

FTP is another option (copy+overwrite if newer)

Depends on the platform/filesystems

like this
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions.

Both Systems are Windows, one is 7 and the other is 8.1.

So far I switched to GoodSync, File Sync & Backup Software | GoodSync , And it has worked well up to this point.

FreefileSync had an issue with transferring to a straight network share (windows network). Which I just checked again and it seems to be working.....Hmmm.

And I only later discovered the GUI tool for Robo Copy. I will say RoboCopy and GoodSync are FFFASSSSTTTT...... GoodSync was pegging the gigabit link, something even regular windows transfer doesnt do unless it from SSD to SSD or some high speed disk raid.

I just needed something to update the backup of the media server every night at 1-2am for one folder , and 4-5am for the next folder. GoodSync has done that so far.

Next up, Im going to rig up a relay timer to turn the pc on at a certian time before the back up is supposed to start, and then have the PC shut off a good bit of time after the transfer should be done.

I had freefilesync copying 150MB/s (drive max speed) across a smb connection which was 10gbit.

like this
Back