Good Oblivion Benchmarks on Firingsquad

That's because CF is not working at all. ATI's single card setups are doing better than their duel card configs. It's a driver bug, no point in comparing them.

So if it doesn't actually work, does that make it slower or faster than Nvidia in Oblivion right now? Does it make it a better solution if I want to play Oblivion?

Issue will be fixed soon. You can bet on that. No reason ATI won't be on top in dual card config when that happens. Talking about Oblivion obviously.

seems like a pretty commanding lead to the XTX, usually around 8-10 FPS it seems and the lead gets bigger as the resolution goes up.

Single card Nvidia really gets burned in the foliage area, which is the most important part since thats the main place FPS tanks.

If crossfire was working it might even make me regret my SLI setup.

Cabezone said:
Ati eeks out a win in the single card, but Nvidia absolutely crushes them in the dual card setups.

Eeks out a win? Sure, in some test. In others however, its a very large difference. With even the X1800XT beating the 7900GTX. The X1800XT is quit a bit faster than the 7900GT overall.

Yeah, SLI scales much, much better than Crossfire right now. That is one area where NV still has a clear lead. SLI went thru a maturation process, where a lot of games did not benefit from SLI ([H] did an article), and it looks to be what ATi is going thru. I suspect it will get fixed in a driver update, but who knows. New ones are supposed to be out very soon, probably this week. Hopefully ATi fixes the Crossfire performance pretty fast, its a very popular game right now.

FiringSquad said:
Breaking it down at the various price points, we’ve got to give the edge to NVIDIA by default at the $300 mark, simply because we’re still trying to get our hands on a 256MB Radeon X1800 XT card.

Do they live in a cave? The X1800XT is very easy to get, newegg has them in stock now, and has had them for several weeks. As have other e-stores. Not to mention cheaper than any GT.newegg has all four versions in stock right now. Then they have 5 versions of the 512MB in stock, with the lowest price at $329, which is where a lot of 7900GT's are. Why cant FS get their hands on one? They obviously are not trying.

Cabezone said:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_performance/

Ati eeks out a win in the single card, but Nvidia absolutely crushes them in the dual card setups.

Well its obvious which card you own, and what company you support. Eeks out a win hugh? LoL

SLI and Crossfire are both novelty setups anyway. Quad SLI? give me a break. The majority of video card owners do not have dual card rigs.

I've been told Crossfire support for Oblivion is coming with the 6.4s (AFR to be exact), so, yes, benchmarking the game in Crossfire is a bit daft. Not sure about tweaks/optimizations in the 6.4, though.

Those seem consistent with my results...

30-40 in outdoors without much shader stress [mountains]
20-25 in outdoors with shader/reflection/HDR stress [forests, lakes]
60-90 in indoors regardless of stress

Spank said:
the 1800xt has a higher/equal min fps vs. the 7900gtx in the outdoors scene with single cards. thats rather bad, a $329 card beating out the competitons top card.

And yet some people still grasp at how SLI compares to non functioning Crossfire. :D

The foliage kills the Nvidia setup, even in SLI. It makes me worry about my choice to get a 7900GT.

It looks like a 7900GT setup in SLI could play the game at 1600x1200 with 4x/8x if it wasn't for that foliage.

Oh well, at least if I go to SLI it will provide a good upgrade.

I was so ATI biased but the stupid giant dongle cord required for Crossfire, and the master card requirements really put me off, and seeing the bug problems in that mode I'm glad I didn't go that way.

Lol...games like these, makes sense why I still have my CRT. Even after getting a used 7800GT (paired with an Opty), I will probably be gaming at 10x7. Ridiculous.

Heh, I might of been better of going with a single X1900XTX then duel 7900GTs but as of now two 7900GTs outperform a single X1900XT although thier slightly more expensive, and I don't really want to screw with them anymore, I've got Oblivon stable at 520/1550, and I don't really feel the need to push higher.

ryankenn said:
The foliage kills the Nvidia setup, even in SLI. It makes me worry about my choice to get a 7900GT.

It looks like a 7900GT setup in SLI could play the game at 1600x1200 with 4x/8x if it wasn't for that foliage.

Oh well, at least if I go to SLI it will provide a good upgrade.

I was so ATI biased but the stupid giant dongle cord required for Crossfire, and the master card requirements really put me off, and seeing the bug problems in that mode I'm glad I didn't go that way.

Hey, you can just go to the ini and put grass spacing to like 150 instead, makes it a little more spaced out but gives a big performance improvement, btw 1280x960 is fine for me, I actually like it better due to better performance and I don't notice shimmering at that resolution. (I get 40+FPS eveywhere)

My thoughts exactly. x1900xt/x is theclear winner in single card configuration. I weigh single card tests heavier because that's what most people have. Oh, and also the fact that SLI/Xfire is a complete joke in the first place.

Coolmanluke said:
Hey Brent, I thought you were working on some benchmarks and a review for us??

I am

I'm doing a roundup of 3 MSI cards

You'll have info for a 7800 GTX 512, X1800 XT and X1900 XTX in Oblivion at 4:3 resolution and 16:10 Widescreen resolution when i'm done

Mav451 said:
Lol...games like these, makes sense why I still have my CRT. Even after getting a used 7800GT (paired with an Opty), I will probably be gaming at 10x7. Ridiculous.

eww 10x7 that sh1t is nasty

acidic said:
eeks out a win from ati when ati wins, but when nvidia wins over a configuration thats obviously not working for a specific game its called crushing...

yea, nvidia bias at its best

I love it when trolls read only the first post in a thread then go off, makes ya look real bright.

I suggest reading the rest of the thread and my followup posts....this goes for all of you trolls that replied to only my initial post.

Brent_Justice said:
I am

I'm doing a roundup of 3 MSI cards

You'll have info for a 7800 GTX 512, X1800 XT and X1900 XTX in Oblivion at 4:3 resolution and 16:10 Widescreen resolution when i'm done

Nice, but why have you chosen not to include a 7900 GTX?

So the 1900XTX now takes the cake on this, BF2, and Fear (at least at higher resolutions). That is the three most advanced engines out there. Throw in superior IQ, and it is time to acknowledge the 1900xtx is the fastest card you can buy.

It is an MSI roundup, and that is what I have here.

We'll be getting to a retail 7900 GTX later.

Much in the queue to do :)

zzzVideocardzzz said:
eww 10x7 that sh1t is nasty

Not at 100Hz it isn't =D.

Which means 100FPS would look liquid smooth. Unfortunately I probably won't be hitting 100FPS even at my low resolution, puahaha. This is why I will always be "mid-range", yes, with a freakin 7800GT.

Rocco123 said:
My thoughts exactly. x1900xt/x is theclear winner in single card configuration. I weigh single card tests heavier because that's what most people have. Oh, and also the fact that SLI/Xfire is a complete joke in the first place.

A joke in what way? SLI and CrossFire are not cost effective to be sure, but at the same time, at least with SLI in this game, you see a significant performance boost. My SLI 7800 512 system runs the game beautifully at 1680x1050 with 4aa and max detail or HDR. Right now, no single card is is quite capable of doing that, staying above 30fps in all environments.

Mav451 said:
Not at 100Hz it isn't =D.

Which means 100FPS would look liquid smooth. Unfortunately I probably won't be hitting 100FPS even at my low resolution, puahaha. This is why I will always be "mid-range", yes, with a freakin 7800GT.

hehe, I think this game is cpu bound anyways, as I lowered my resolution to 320x240 and was only getting 50-80FPS of course all options where set to max, but still cpu bound it seems.

What I find odd is why a 7900 GTX would lose almost 33% of its frame rate going from 10x7 to 12x10 with 4x AA and 8/AF enabled?

sculelos said:
hehe, I think this game is cpu bound anyways, as I lowered my resolution to 320x240 and was only getting 50-80FPS of course all options where set to max, but still cpu bound it seems.

im not surprised with sli 7900gts :rolleyes:

I saw somewhat to the equivalent to my rig PWN all :D :D

John Reynolds said:
What I find odd is why a 7900 GTX would lose almost 33% of its frame rate going from 10x7 to 12x10 with 4x AA and 8/AF enabled?

I have a feeling drivers will help both camps. ATI will come out with drivers to up performance overall and especially in crossfire and nvidia will come out with drivers to help both scenarios. This game is very important and I know both camps will give it all they got.

i would like too see the 7800 gtx 512 sli against the 7900 gtx 512 sli, someone said the "faster memory" (correct me if im wrong) on the 7800 will make a big diffrence even if the 7900 is clocked higher.

Cabezone said:
I love it when trolls read only the first post in a thread then go off, makes ya look real bright.

I suggest reading the rest of the thread and my followup posts....this goes for all of you trolls that replied to only my initial post.

when is it called trolling when we point out obvious bias in your analysis OP

UPDATE: It's come to our attention that CrossFire support can be forced by renaming the Oblivion.exe executable file to "AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe". We've confirmed that this fix works and we're in the process of re-running our CrossFire benchmarks now. We'll have updated performance numbers for CrossFire shortly.
Looks like we will see proper CrossFire results soon. Anyone with a CF rig might also want to try doing this to fully take advantage of their dual cards.

Lol, quack/quake actually working in favor of ATi. I dunno if this is irony in its finest moment...

Back