• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good notebook 15.4", good graphics, etc.

Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
613
I am thinking of getting a 15.4" notebook for everyday use and gaming. I've been searching around for quite a while and there seems to be WAY too many choices for me to make a good decision of. Here are some stipulations that the notebook must meet:

1. Good display, wxga or wsxga, NO WUXGA, MUST BE GLOSSY, wide viewing angles (The display is the meat of the notebook and certain tradeoffs can be made for a good one)
2. Centrino or Turion
3. At least 6600go or x700
4. Long batter life (3+ hours doing random work stuff, not gaming)
5. Light and thin (6 pounds or around there, lighter is better)
6. Whisper quiet or near that.
7. Aroung $1500-1700

There's one particular notebook I am excluding and that is the z71v because of the display. Please give any suggestions you have. It will make my life easier. I've been researching and trolling the forums for WEEKS and have not indecisive the entire way so I need someone else to think for me.
 
If you would consider A64 based lappys the HP z series have close to the specs you're looking for at a much lower price. Only downside is the video is only a mobility R200.
 
The_Mage18 said:
If you would consider A64 based lappys the HP z series have close to the specs you're looking for at a much lower price. Only downside is the video is only a mobility R200.

Aren't they heavy (like ~8lbs)? Also the battery life of A64 laptops vs. P-M laptops is usually very pro P-M.

EDIT: What about the Toshiba Tecra A?

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c...famoid=-26374&coid=-28907&seg=HHO&poid=290562

Seems to have everything you asked for. Hard drive is a dog though (4200). You could change that though.
 
looks like you're searching for the holygrail of laptops.

The toshiba is alright, but the HDD is a dog, the ram is only pc2700, and well configured it's out of his price range.


I personally hate glossy screens, but that's because I use my laptop outdoors alot.

to each his own i guess.
 
SidewinderX said:
looks like you're searching for the holygrail of laptops.

The toshiba is alright, but the HDD is a dog, the ram is only pc2700, and well configured it's out of his price range.


I personally hate glossy screens, but that's because I use my laptop outdoors alot.

to each his own i guess.

The 15" Apple PB meets all of his requirements (9700 ~ X700) except...Windows and the glossy screen :p
 
Yea no DTR athlon 64 plz :) I know there is no holy grail but there are ya know, shiny imitations that kind of look like it. :eek:
 
I know this doesn't quite meet your specs...but I'll toss it out anyway.

Toshibe Tecra A4
1. WXGA display. Does not have the glossy screen, because I fucking hate the glare associated with them. But, it does have a good screen, no dead pixels, and does not ghost.
2. Centrino 1.6ghz (730 533fsb)
3. X600 (plays Doom3 and HL2 perfectly)
4. Gets 3 hours doing normal stuff on a 6 cell; you can get a larger battery for it.
5. Weighs 6.2 lbs
6. Silent, except when gaming(but then I have headphones and don't care)
7. $1200 w/ laptop bag, mouse, headphones, cables, etc.
 
How about a Gateway 7426gx? Has a fast CPU (mobile 3700+) and battery life of 3Hrs. It has a 9600 (renamed to 9550 but same thing) which is the only downfall. 1GB ram, glossy 15.4 screen, and 125mbps wireless.
 
id say pray for dell to upgrade the gpu in the 6000D and you have found your lappy :).
im still hoping for an upgraded gpu :(
 
serbiaNem said:
How about a Gateway 7426gx? Has a fast CPU (mobile 3700+) and battery life of 3Hrs. It has a 9600 (renamed to 9550 but same thing) which is the only downfall. 1GB ram, glossy 15.4 screen, and 125mbps wireless.

I need turion or centrino tho.
 
silverwolf0 said:
I am thinking of getting a 15.4" notebook for everyday use and gaming. I've been searching around for quite a while and there seems to be WAY too many choices for me to make a good decision of. Here are some stipulations that the notebook must meet:

1. Good display, wxga or wsxga, NO WUXGA, MUST BE GLOSSY, wide viewing angles (The display is the meat of the notebook and certain tradeoffs can be made for a good one)
2. Centrino or Turion
3. At least 6600go or x700
4. Long batter life (3+ hours doing random work stuff, not gaming)
5. Light and thin (6 pounds or around there, lighter is better)
6. Whisper quiet or near that.
7. Aroung $1500-1700

There's one particular notebook I am excluding and that is the z71v because of the display. Please give any suggestions you have. It will make my life easier. I've been researching and trolling the forums for WEEKS and have not indecisive the entire way so I need someone else to think for me.

you should try and configure a sager to your needs
http://www.powernotebooks.com/product.php?itemId=677

a friend of mine has the 3790 which is the same casing, and its a great notebook
battery life is more than 3 hours, considering the video card is a 9700 mobility, 1.6 centrino, 512 mb of ram, and 80 gb 5400rpm hd

the downside of it is that is sort of heavy, but for good reason, it feels like a tank, great quality

edit here is a review of the 3880
http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=80992
 
The new Acer Ferrari may tickle your fancy. Is not quite out yet. It is coming soon. Here are specs:

Official Specs:

Processor:
AMD Turion 64

Chipset:
ATI Radeon Xpress 200P

Memory:
1GB DDR333, upgradeable to 2GB

Display:
15.4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 native resolution

Graphics:
ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB

Storage:
100GB ATA/100 HD

Optical:
Slot-Loading DVD Super Multi double layer drive

Modem:
V.92 56K

Lan:
Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g with bluetooth

Dimensions:
363 x 265.7 x 30.5/34.3 (mm)
14.29 x 10.46 x 1.2/1.35 (inches)

Weight:
2.86 kg (6.3 lbs)

I/O Ports:
124 pin Acer ezDock connector
4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 4-pin firewire port (
RJ-45 Ethernet, RJ-11 Modem port
VGA port, DVI-D port, S-Video port
5-in-1 card reader

Extras:
Comes standard with bluetooth mouse!
 
I was thinking of the acer aspire 5020 and also the ferrari 4000 mentioned above. Leaning more towards the 5020 because, well, its cheaper and it looks much better IMO. However I hate paper launches and I think acer is starting to follow that route for their US market...
 
Back
Top