Good *nix book for developers

I'm a web developer by day. My development machine is windows, and there's always been someone else to handle linux/apache server deployments.

As such i've never learned much about the unix shell. However lately i'm handling more responsibilities and find myself using the terminal more and more. Alas i know nothing except for some basic commands.

So can anyone recommend a good book on shell, or some other resource as it pertains especially to web deployments and server configurations?

Thanks,

Which shell? If you're using bash, then The Bash Cookbook and Learning the Bash Shell are the ones I like. The shell really isn't related to web deployment, so maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Which shell? If you're using bash, then The Bash Cookbook and Learning the Bash Shell are the ones I like. The shell really isn't related to web deployment, so maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.

Yes bash. That's basically what i meant when i said Linux for developers. Non UI stuff. I wish these guides weren't so Mac focused and covered other frameworks like Cygwin for windows and such.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The books I referenced make no such assumption.

Back