Good nforce board?

A nice low cost nForce2 board would be the FIC something or other. A good one would either be the Abit NF7-S or Asus A7N8X-Deluxe.

Why did I place shuttle in the same boat as ECS, and PC Chips? Most (if not all) of Shuttle's boards are MANUFACTURED by ECS... So, hmm, why buy a rebadged ECS? But hey, if you have had good luck with Shuttle, great! I personally have not. But then I havent bought them since the socket 7 era.
But again look for at least a mid level manufacturer (biostar, fic) Nforce 2 400 or ultra 400 and if you want to put a monster cooler on a board that has the 4 mounting holes around the cpu socket. (which my biostar does NOT have... oh well.)

Originally posted by HvyMtl
Why did I place shuttle in the same boat as ECS, and PC Chips? Most (if not all) of Shuttle's boards are MANUFACTURED by ECS... So, hmm, why buy a rebadged ECS? But hey, if you have had good luck with Shuttle, great! I personally have not. But then I havent bought them since the socket 7 era.
But again look for at least a mid level manufacturer (biostar, fic) Nforce 2 400 or ultra 400 and if you want to put a monster cooler on a board that has the 4 mounting holes around the cpu socket. (which my biostar does NOT have... oh well.)

Time for some education here.

First, ALL of Shuttles mobos are made by ECS.

Second, Shuttle mobos are NOT rebadged ECS boards- they are designed to certain specifications by Shuttle, and manufactured to those requirements by ECS. ECS is perfectly capable of making high quality mobos, but the simply don't for their own branded stuff- they will typically cut costs on power regulation, etc, further perpetuating their reputation. On a monthly basis, I move about a grand of Shuttle, Abit, and Asus motherboards (per manufacturer) (I work in retail), and I never have problems at all with any of the boards that we get. In fact, I didn't have to RMA a single motherboard this year with the DOA excuse (not bad for 36k-40k worth of mobos).

I suggest thatyou give them another look, as they are doing quite well with their products, and as you may have noticed, socket 7 is gone, along with many of the stereotypes that may have been true back then.

Back