Good movie viewers?

kennyj449

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been out and away from the PC world for about a year now, having relied on a Mac. I finally just built myself a half-decent new rig, and now... half the software I used to use is either outdated, commercialized, or otherwise made unworthy. I've done pretty well getting back up to speed, but I'm left with one question.

What's a good movie player?

I used to use Sasami2K but I've heard of it being superseded, and I wasn't too fond of its bugs and the highly erratic development it underwent.

I have yet to see a freeware app thats better then Media Player Classic. :D

ZoomPlayer

Tho there isn't DVD support in the free verison

Media Player Classic is alright too, dunno just like ZoomPlayer better because it has a somewhat integration with my wireless remote software that I use (Girder).

I too vote for Media Player Classic.

For what it's worth, it supports WinLIRC and uIRC. uIRC appears to be commercial from what I could gather, but I'm using the free version and it hasn't given me troubles -- yet. (These are infrared remote servers. I'm using uIRC for the remote that came with my current soundcard.)

Probably what I like the most is that MPC has built in filters for many things and can innately handle multiple streams (eg multiple audio/subtitles.) Of course, I don't use these very often, but, they are a good backup if all else fails.

Nazo said:
I too vote for Media Player Classic.

For what it's worth, it supports WinLIRC and uIRC. uIRC appears to be commercial from what I could gather, but I'm using the free version and it hasn't given me troubles -- yet. (These are infrared remote servers. I'm using uIRC for the remote that came with my current soundcard.)

Probably what I like the most is that MPC has built in filters for many things and can innately handle multiple streams (eg multiple audio/subtitles.) Of course, I don't use these very often, but, they are a good backup if all else fails.

Hmmm interesting, I have been getting tired of Girder's configuration (annoying). I'll give that a spin thanks

StarWarsHater said:
Hmmm interesting, I have been getting tired of Girder's configuration (annoying). I'll give that a spin thanks
What remote are you using? If it's an ATI remote I know a much better app.

Oh, btw, it's not uIRC. I don't know why I kept typing that. It's uICE, universal infrared control engine. It can be set to work on a per application basis (eg to one application you can have the power button send the x key or something like that, to another, the close window command.) Also, it can run as a server for the things that support that. Media Player Classic is the only one I know that can use it as a server so far though. I assume there are other things, but this is the main one. The advantage though is you don't have to configure it to send certain keys or commands in uICE, but instead, configure MPC to look for specific button names (in the hotkey settings, at the right where it says remote, the name should be the same as it is in uICE.)

There probably are plenty of programs, I mainly just grabbed that one because I knew MPC supported it and WinLIRC's website wouldn't load for me (I suspect it wouldn't support an Audigy2 ZS remote anyway.) I didn't know it had such control and everything.

I still don't like that it's commercial, but, now I'll have to find something better before I switch from it.

CrimandEvil said:
What remote are you using? If it's an ATI remote I know a much better app.

Nope, its a Creative CIMR100 (basically a simple serial IR reciever and remote)

Haven't gotten to winLIRC yet, too lazy, even tho I just reformatted and installed windows, and I haven't set up my remote yet :D

Back