Good Motherboard for Opteron Dual

wwswimming

n00b
to make a long story short, i do CAD work, and my asus p4c800 and p5GD2 both were too slow at times today.

the p4c is OC'ed 10% from 3 to 3.3 and the other one is bumped 11.% from 3.6 to 4.0. They have 4 x 512 Mushkin 2-2-2, and 2 x 512 Patriot DDR2, for memory. An AGP 6600 and a PCI-E Asus X850XT for graphics cards.

the kept choking on IGES files being imported, i had to do "strategic downsizing" on some of my CAD models.

the Athlon X2 processors are real appealing. lower power consumption for the same performance, though i guess for some benchmarks the P4 doesn't quite catch up to the Athlon's & Opterons.

do you have to get a Tyan Opteron motherboard to use the Dual Opteron, like the 165 or the 170. or will they work on an MSI Neo 4 Platinum ?

i went to the MSI website, it doesn't list the Dual Opteron as a compatible processor.

for a while i heard about stock motherboards not accepting the X2, that is, they were needing a BIOS flash. the DFI i kept hearing this about.

what mother board could i buy that would give me the dual processor magic of the Opteron, without having to do a BIOS flash, just install the CPU and the memory like usual ?

thanks a lot !

I think you mean dual-core and not dual cpu.

You'll have to look at the sockets involved. The 1xx Opterons that so many are excited about are socket 939 and can be used in standard desktop/enthusiast motherboards from ASUS and DFI and many others. I'm not sure about the MSI your talking about, but I think it works with dual-core chips with out needing a BIOS flask. If you're looking at a Socket 940 Opteron, then you will need a server board.

lannen said:
If you're looking at a Socket 940 Opteron, then you will need a server board.
There's a few single-socket Opteron workstation boards floating around, too (but you'l need to use the 265-280 series to get dual-core use out of them). FoxConn makes a single-socket SLI board based on the nForce Pro.

so far, the only one i've found is the Tyan Tomcat, where the S2865ANRF is the model # for the version without the ATI onboard graphics.

$165 at Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151156

B U T -

the reviews are limited - it doesn't sound like much of an overclocker.

Where's the "magic overclocking motherboard" for the Opteron ?

The DFI Ultra-D ? The MSI Neo-4 Platinum ?

both MB's received good reviews from Anandtech & Tom's Hardware, among others.

what I'd like to do is use a "mainstream" overclocking friendly MB for the Opteron - like a MB you would use for the Athlon 4000.

Thanks for the info so far.

to clarify, i'm talking about dual-core, like the 165 or the 170, one physical device with 2 cores.

Back