Good Motherboard and CPU combo P4

Stu55

[H]ard|Gawd
What is a good chipset for socket 478 P4's, northwood? prescott? I want to do a little overclocking, i heard prescotts can get mighty hot. Also what is a good motherboard. I was thinking a 3ghz P4 and a good mobo for under $250.

The "Heat" issue with the prescott's are a concern but shouldn't be that much of a concern to keep from buying one. The Prescott's are fast cpu's. HSF unit to keep it cool? Get thermalright's XP-90 and the LGA 775 adapter if your mobo requires it. These HSF unit's are very effective in keeping the temps of the prescott's down. The prescott 3.0 and a LGA 775 mobo with the XP-90 HS is the route to go.

For Intel CPU's and socket 478 there really are only two chipsets worth looking at. I know SIS and VIA owners may get pissed for this statement but really you should only be looking at the i865PE or the i875P. For serious overclocking the i875P is absolutely the way to go. The best overclocking results for socket 478 CPU's are acheived with that chipset.

i875p, its was the best chipset for the s478. if you cant find one that fits your price range than an i865.

Back