Good Modable with 3rd Party Firmware Router for maximum connections?

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
I need to purchase a router that I'll be using for a server. I read somewhere I while back about some routers that could be modded with firmware and achieve 2000-4000 connections. This is for home use and just temporary for about a month so it doesn't need to be top of line. I just need max connections.

2000-4000 would be about perfect but of course I wouldn't object to more. I read the main router thread and all the links very helpful. It seems all of them are factory limited to 200 threads.

Which routers can I buy for under 100 bucks and that are compatible with which firmware to achieve these goals?
Wireless does not matter in fact I would prefer non-wireless.

Please help,
Thanks!

Also if I set up the router to handle 4000 threads. What should I set my TCP Half Open Limit to? Would that be 4000 as well? Or which other settings in the OS should I edit? I'll be using windows server os.

Last edited:
I don't believe you'll find any home grade router that will support that many. The Stinksys wrt54g series became well known for DD-WRT and Tomato firmware. They add lots of features, improve some stability, and squeek a little more performance out of them. But as you can see by this writeup....the numbers show it's not adding all that much.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30437/55/

Some of the newer, more powerful current generation routers will handle much more of a load...
Take a look here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/chart,124/

If you want to get something that will handle all you can possibly throw at it, and more...and not even break a sweat...I highly recommend PFSense. It's a *nix distro you install on your own hardware, some old PC with 2x NICs. I run mine on an old Pentium M laptop with 512 megs of RAM. On default settings it's set to handle up to 51,000 states.

Exactly as said above... get a Smoothwall, IPCop or PFSense....

I have a dlink router at home, and when I am torrenting it kills the thing, when I go to work(I have a Smoothie setup) and I CANNOT kill it... I can torrent all I like and you never notice a lag doing other things at the same time.

Both of you guys thanks a ton for that info. You hit it Right on the Nose! That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!

Yes those were the routers and software I had heard of before, the tomato and all that. So those really aren't even that worth it huh?

Building my own sounds perfect. I knew I should have kept my old computer parts!! That's ok though, I figure I can build a cheapo computer for about one hundred bucks and that's still way cheaper than an expensive router.

So I can use the mobo LAN for incoming and 1 network card per outgoing computer I assume.

This is fantasic and perfect for my needs I didn't even think of this, thank you guys a ton!

Sorry for the late reply stuff has just been crazy here. It's going to be about a few weeks before I get started on this project so there might be a few things I'll have questions about but I can always bump the thread back up :)

What do you guys think about the windows half open connection limit things like that. I'll be running about 2,000-4,000 connections. I figure I can use TCPoptimizer for most of the settings and then if I have to I can just play around with this one and see what offers the most performance.

This is great I'm very excited :D After learning this I don't think I'll ever run a store bought router again. btw I also have a dlink and it's a piece of crap!! Granted it's one of the cheapo ones. The thing is a pain in my a**. I'm for the most part an easy goin guy but sometimes I have visions of tossing this thing in the air and wackin it with a baseball bat. LoL. This is awesome!

Last edited:
Back