(Good) Memory for Abit IC7

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiraides

[H]F Junkie
I've heard all of the stories about how Winbond CH-5 chips cause problems with i865/875 boards. Problem is that I want to get a gig of RAM with tight timings without having to spend an arm and a leg. I have an Abit IC7 with a 2.4GHz P4C but I don't overclock. I currently have 512MB of Kingston ValueRAM PC3200 and I have had no problems with it so far. Can I get a gig of, say, Kingston HyperX PC3200 without it crapping out on me?

If not, can you recommend memory that won't cause problems with my board? Worse case is that I may have to wait another month before I can afford to get the Mushkin Level Two PC350.

To get the best ram, wait a month and buy the mushkin. I was also on a budget, so I bought a gig of Kingston HyperX PC3500. It's CH5 and works pretty good. I'm running it at default speeds (DDR434) with 2-3-2-6 timings on my IC7. It won't post with 2-2-2-6 timings.

I have used both Corsair XMS 3200 CL2 and Kingston HyperX 3700 chips with my IC7-G

Thanks. Pretty much Kingston HyperX, Corsair XMS, or Mushkin Level Two memory should be what I'm looking for.

I heard that Geil memory uses a different chipset from those made by Winbond. Is that true? And does Geil memory hold timings comparable to the Mushkin Level Twos (2-2-2-6 on Intel boards I believe)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back