Good m-ITX/mATX board for Skylake?

dangfx

Gawd
Hello,

I am looking for a good board for a i5-6600K/1151 processor (and maybe upgrade when the new i7's come down in price). I really don't have any hard requirements, no real modding or overclocking, and just looking for general, all-around use and overall stability/reliability. I was looking into the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII GENE, which seems to have lots of features, which is nice... but only has 3 reviews on newegg so far, and none on Amazon.

What's your experiences? :)

The only Mini ITX I know of is the EVGA Stinger, very solid board

on the Micro ATX side I would go ASUS ROG Maximus VIII GENE or for a lower cost go ASUS Z170M-Plus

I was looking for MATX with bluetooth but I didn't see any. I'm planning on a Gene board although I'm wary of Asus RMA service now.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Does anyone know about the stability of this? Is something like the Supermicro C7Z170-M much more stable/less buggy or finicky? I would be willing to trade some of the bells and whistles on the GENE if people thought it would be problematic...

EDIT:
oh, and does anyone know if this board supports dual displays (spanning/continuous desktop) without the need of a 3rd party card? (just want to make sure that the DisplayPort doesn't just support mirroring here).

Last edited:
I've got ASUS Z170M-Plus, it's ok but it's very plain and featureless, one more cut and they would call it -LE instead of Plus.

Some bios features are less stable than system itself, eg. auto fan setup from bios will do all the reading and then crash while saving results ;)

Also I can't use Asus AI Suite becascue it'll crash Win10 when I install Logitech Gaming Software which I need for my G13

System stability is ok, right now I'm running 6600K with vcore set to Offset -0.08 at 4.2GHz, along with MSI GTX 970

The Asrock fatality z170 mini itx is coming out in a few days, and should be one of the best mini itx boards out. That is what i'm waiting for.

I'm still waiting.
I thought I'll have the asus gene board, but it's not available here, and I'm also not in a hurry.
Currently I can only get the Asus Z170M-PLUS. How is it?

I'm still waiting.
I thought I'll have the asus gene board, but it's not available here, and I'm also not in a hurry.
Currently I can only get the Asus Z170M-PLUS. How is it?

It's fine mobo (I'm using one for a week) but without any additional features, no spdif out, only 2x USB 3.0 (4 USB total) and no bracket to add more (you have to buy one) it looks a bit cheap

but on the other hand it's rock stable so far, Asus UEFI is uber stable and very user friendly, you have all OC features from higher tier products, at least I can't find anything missing

alygen, I am going to just make the assumption that, in terms of stability, the Plus is comparable to the Genie... Have you experienced any sort of finicky-ness or tweaky config issues at all? My last Asus board was very touchy/iffy, so I am wary.

I have a gene coming next week. If it's anything like my Z77 gene then it'll be great. crossing my fingers.

alygen, I am going to just make the assumption that, in terms of stability, the Plus is comparable to the Genie... Have you experienced any sort of finicky-ness or tweaky config issues at all? My last Asus board was very touchy/iffy, so I am wary.

nothing at all, booting 10/10 without any delays, settings are stable, OC is stable, not a single bluscreen nor even crash to desktop in games, only issues I have is with setting up fans in bios, but it's being sorted out and I have pretty weird config,

alygen, that's good to hear. Do you think you could post your settings? (bios, I mean). If you're having good stable results, maybe I'll try the same with the GENE.

alygen, that's good to hear. Do you think you could post your settings? (bios, I mean). If you're having good stable results, maybe I'll try the same with the GENE.

hey, sure but they are not every advanced as I'm aiming at low power HTPC machine,

right now I'm running it with 4.2GHz, all cores, Voltage set to Offset - negative (-) with value of 0.09

so whole OC = set 3 options, multiplier, offset, offset value, even LCC is on auto right now as voltage I can see while under load is pretty low 1.168V-1.184V depends on what I'm running

other settings

onboard sound disabled (I have X-FI PCI-E), hard drives set in AHCI mode, and Plug and Play for all devices enabled

Last edited:
Back