good long range antennas ?

Drumitar

n00b
im looking to buy some long range antennas to boost my wifi signal, i currently have a TPlink WR2543ND, which does a decent job in my house but id like to get some signal just outside my house if possible. Would this be better suited for a long range antenna or a wireless access point ? i have a small house and a small backyard if that helps

Most of the time range issues are due to the client radio, not the access point radio.

depending on location for the router in your home... think of wireless as a shower head, it's it positioned at a low point in your house you're going to have a lower amount of coverage vs at a higher point in the home.

an access point would help potentially if you were to have it mounted at a higher point in the home, but moving your current router may have the same affect.

couple options for AP's if you're looking that route... www.ubnt.com for info, and below for shopping.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ubnt

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniF...3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373039973&sr=8-3&keywords=ubnt

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
depending on location for the router in your home... think of wireless as a shower head, it's it positioned at a low point in your house you're going to have a lower amount of coverage vs at a higher point in the home.

an access point would help potentially if you were to have it mounted at a higher point in the home, but moving your current router may have the same affect.

That's not true at all, an omnidirectional antenna has a radiation pattern that is equal in all directions on one plane, in other words, it's more like a doughnut shape than a cone (or shower head). That's not to say that repositioning the existing router to a more convenient, or less obstructed area of the house couldn't help, but it's not about height.

I am not spending time on antenna theory, aaronearles hit the nail on the head.

OP, use a second outdoor AP and be happy.

Back