Good Linksys Router

Predator_CITF

Limp Gawd
I need a good Linksys wireless router. I also want some good range (we'll have 2 laptops and 2 desktops running on the network). So I need wireless G. Also, what is RangeBooster and SpeedBooster?

And whats the difference between the regular "blue" linksys routers vs. the so-it-seems "uber" silver ones?

I'd appreciate if anyone could answer. Thanks.

Also, to add, the main problem now on our BEFW11S4 802.11b router is that when one desktop and one laptop are simultaneously browsing the net, it becomes REALLY slow. And the signal strength is weak for the laptop which is pretty far away. How can we improve signal strength too? Should I look into wireless N?

Thanks.

The wrx54gx4 (srx400) has recently come down a lot in price....great units, I've setup many of them.

The lower silver cases are more often the business grade routers...tend to have the VPN functions 'n stuff.

In light of having great success with a pair of WRT54GL routers and DD-WRT firmware.... I would make sure any of these newer Linksys routers were at least DD-WRT compatible in case I didn't like the factory firmware. ;)

u2slow said:
In light of having great success with a pair of WRT54GL routers and DD-WRT firmware.... I would make sure any of these newer Linksys routers were at least DD-WRT compatible in case I didn't like the factory firmware. ;)

I'd been using dd-wrt and hyper-wrt and tomato on the old wrt54g models.....yes it's good stuff, but it can only do so much with old hardware. It would be cool to have it function on the new Airgo MIMO hardware...but even with stock firmware, the MIMO units outdistance the dd on old hardware.

You mention you prefer range...so based on that need, to answer your question..."rangeboost" versus "speedboost"....I'm going to wager you'd want the rangeboost.

Speedboost you only get the increase in speed if you have a matching speedboost NIC. So that would probably kill your budget. Not really an increase in range either.

Pre-N/Draft-N/MIMO...you do not need matching NICs to benefit from the increase in range...so you can use old B and G NICs...and benefit from a MIMO router as far as range goes. So this is an important factor when considering your budget...you only need to make 1 purchase.

The wrt54gx4 is only like 27 dollars more expensive than the one you linked above....

Interesting, so you're saying that I could still use my wireless B devices with it, the N speed would drop, but i could still improve from the enhanced range?

Only problem is the wireless N is out of my budget too. Also, 27$ is a lot of money. The max I plan on spending for a router is 70$.

O yes, I am also willing to look into the SRX200 one, which is 80$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124050

Whats the difference between SRX200 and 400? Also, do I need any special kind of wireless cards on the laptop and wireless desktop to use with the SRX200/400 routers?

I've had bad experience with firmware on the SRX200 and was coming in to check for what I'd get as a replacement if a firmware upgrade doesn't fix matters.

Horrible packet loss and resetting connections.

I hadn't been gaming on the connection recently and had thought the dropped packets were caused by virus / spyware / firewall software issues.

Got a call into my tech guy to see what he recommends since I want to have this gaming conecction working reliably before holiday guests arrive.

i have been using a wrt54gs, and have not been happy with it. had to switch from d-link because wife's working at home and her company demanded linksys :mad:

Predator_CITF said:
What is the difference between SRX vs. SRX200 vs. SRX400?

range and power..the srx is a smaller less expensive MIMO unit.

They're OK...I have one in a drawer at home somewhere..performs about 90% the same distance wise as my wrt54g v1 with DD-WRT cranked up to 75. But not nearly as far as the full srx400.

I've got a WRT54GS v2 and it friggen rocks!
Especially since you can put any of the customer firmware out there on it.

But, of course, when ur getting a WRT54G(S), you dont want to get anything over v3, I think.

Back