Good LCD for gaming?

WCES Ryan

Gawd
I'm in the process of putting together a new machine, and will probably get a new monitor as well.... not sure if I am going to go with CRT or LCD though. I'd like to do a bit of gaming (although I'm not a hardcore gamer), so I'm not sure if an LCD would be a great choice. Hence my question...

Are there any good LCDs for gaming? Any with little enough lag to be comparable to a CRT?

use the search funuction or look in the display section more, plenty of these threads around.

Just bought a 2005FPW online. Now to try and fight off the imminent heart attack induced by sticker shock :D

There are no good lcd's for gaming. They all seem to have input lag compared to a crt.

dee-vee said:
There are no good lcd's for gaming. They all seem to have input lag compared to a crt.

:rolleyes:

Check out samsung's LCDs, like the 740b and 940b, as well as the Viewsonic VX series (suposedly very low response times, but at a cost) and the Hyundai L90D+, which as an almost legendary reputation on Newegg and around the net for being a good gamer product at a low cost.

Any 16ms or less monitor will give you an experience CLOSE to that of a crt. I myself am using a 30ms monitor with only minimal ghosting...depends on how perceptive you are.

The only question that gets asked more is "Do you want cheese on that?" It's amazing....I think some people really do need an 'Easy' button 'cause they think they'll explode into bloody chunks if they hit the search button.

dee-vee said:

blur of any kind is very annoying. i definately see the difference playing on an lcd. not for me :mad:

The LCDs dont mave much lag at all, and the picture quality makes up for that small delay. The only thing that is annoying with an LCD is ghosting, and the better LCD panels dont have any problems with ghosting. I would say for gaming though I would get either one of those low response time viewsonic panels or the dell 2005fpw.

-=Antimatter=- said:
Any 16ms or less monitor will give you an experience CLOSE to that of a crt. I myself am using a 30ms monitor with only minimal ghosting...depends on how perceptive you are.

Actually, even 8ms LCD's are getting quite common. Not as common as 16, but the experience really is quite good.

Avengeance said:
Well the dell 2005FPW is 12ms G-T-G and 16ms B-W-B and it has almost no ghosting.

I dont beleive that. I tested a samsung 970p, 8bit 6ms G2G, and it had a certain amount of blurring and color smearing while playing the sims2. FPS weren't satisfying. Dandy if you never ran anywhere. As soon as fast motion came into play you're left thinking, "fuck, this lcd kinda sux!"

Well, first off. We talking ghosting or bluring? I noticed no ghosting on the samsung lcd i tested, but the motion isn't nearly as smooth as i would want it to be. Went from a smaller, old sony CRT to that samsung LCD. The sony doesnt look as snazzy but in games it's so much more visually pleasing. I'm sorry but i cant play any games on LCD's. If you've seen budwise's .mov of BF2 on his 930BF, i can notice the blur on the plants in the foreground, when he moves. It looks similar to the samsung i tested. However he positioned the camera pretty far back. If you were in player position of the lcd, you'd notice it more. It'd also be more apparent if you used a high quality camera, actually capable of rendering 60fps :p. If you love your lcd, great i dont care. I just can't stand to settle for such sub par gaming performance. Why spend $400 on a graphics adapter when your monitor can't even display it at the full potential? Nutso! I'm currently trying to figure out what CRT to get. Dont want to settle for a shadow mask, but aperature grills are spendy! I've got a dead one i want to refurb...decisions decisions lol!

It does depend on how perceptive you are, but all LCD's have ghosting regardless of the advertised response time. Also note that advertised response times are never accurate, they always make them sound lower than they are. With fast LCD's you also only get 6 bit color, and you don't get true blacks, so games like FEAR are pretty much ruined. You also only get one resolution, low refresh rates which results in tearing in games with vsync off, chances of dead pixels and possible backlight bleeding. In my opinion I would stick with CRT until SED gets released.

Back