Good language software

Baredor

Gawd
Anyone recommend a good teach yourself *language* program? I'm specifically in need of German and a live class isn't really an option.

Bump

I'm in need of a nice German teaching software too. Took German1-3 in School, and have now forgotten a good portion of it.

I've heard good things about rosetta stone
I tried a demo of it and it teaches through immersion. kinda cool but pricey, see if you can get your work to pay for it if you can jusyify it to them. that's what my co-worker at my last job did.

I saw that "Tell me more German" was highly rated, but I was a bit turned off by a review that said it has 3 different levels of the software, each purchased seperately, and the order isn't very logical. Supposedly, you're learning conversational German, but you don't learn words like "breakfast" until the advanced tutorial.

I sent an email to a state university German professor, who forwarded it to an "expert". Since someone else is interested, I'll post when I get a reply.

I have used the rosetta stone program (for Japanese) and I recommend it.
Only problem with it is.. it is a bit pricey.

D.

Meh. Got a reply back:

Since I haven't worked extensively with any specific programs, I can't recommend one over any other. I would suggest you go to Amazon.com and type in German or German cd rom, see what comes up, and read other people's reviews about the software. Then you might be able to find one that fits you best. I just did that and found all kinds of comments based on what seem to be people's different learning styles, so that might help you find the best program for you.

Oh well. I may try Rosetta stone. Very expensive, but if it is effective, I can justify the cost.

Back