Good keyboard?

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
My GF wants to buy me a G19 for my Xmas present since she spilled water on my old G15 rev1. I would love a G19 as it looks gorgeous but am willing to try something new. I see alot of raves and reviews about the mechanical keyboards but the problem with those is that they lack certain features I can't live without. Mainly volume/media player controls. Is there any mechanical switch keyboard that has these features?

logitech illuminated keyboard

ultra thin and super sexy

the keys feel like heaven

Buy a mechanical keyboard of your choice, then use autohotkey to add whatever media keys you need.

Sidewinder X6 if you are a gamer... hands down. (You can remove the useless number pad or put it on your left side).

Another +1 for Logitech Illuminated. Awesome. Not too laptop-ish keys. Well rounded keyboard.

hp wireless elite isnt bad

for wired ill take a black keytronic thanks

I love my G19. There's no way i'd pay $200 for it, but its pretty awesome. So far, i'm finding more uses for the screen. The option to use it as a sideshow device is pretty cool.

Just picked up the logitech illuminated kb a few days ago and still trying to get used to it not having raised keys. Very quiet and comfortable so far. Im still trying to justify the $80can price tag :( Also a few typing mistakes due to not having raised keys, but im sure that will pass in a few weeks or so.

The only key on the keyboard that makes any noise is the spacebar:rolleyes:

I remember reading that logitech illuminated keyboard had a phantom keyblocking issue. Keep that in mind if you are a fast typist.

no problems so far and i type around 100wpm. I screw up a few keys here and there but thats because im getting used to it since its not a normal keyboard, more like a laptop kb :)

I am thinking about getting a good mechanical keyboard to replace my old G15, at least for typing. Any suggestions on a comfortable yet not very expensive (like das) keyboard?

All who are keyboard shopping should check out http://www.deckkeyboards.com/
Ok ok, so they aren't cheap, but aren't they awesome?

das keyboard has been mentioned, but I recommend them too, they're great!

Lastly, for a less expensive, good mechanical keyboard, look for an old, unused IBM Model M keyboard. There are tons on ebay, and they are magnificent keyboards.

I am thinking about getting a good mechanical keyboard to replace my old G15, at least for typing. Any suggestions on a comfortable yet not very expensive (like das) keyboard?

Some cheap mechanical boards that serve as a good starting point are (if you like the switches in them, you can sell it and buy a better quality/nicer board):

Compaq MX11800 - Uses Cherry brown switches (tactile, non-clicky). Can be found on ebay for $20-30 from time to time (don't see any cheap ones atm, lowest price atm is $50 + shipping)

iOne Scorpius M10 - Uses Cherry blue switches (tactile and clicky). Sells new on Amazon for about $50.

Dell AT101W - Uses Alps black switches (tactile, non-clicky). I personally don't like this board or the switches, but some people do like them and these are cheap. Can be found NIB on ebay for about $13 here (search for 227KN if the link dies): http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-104-Key-PS...mQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item5ad54b0136

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
well i ended up taking back the logitech illuminated kb and got the microsoft digital media 3000 for $15 and its just as quiet :p

Maybe I'm the only one, but I really like my Saitek Eclipse II. Never tried the logitech, and pretty sure I've never laid fingers on a mechanical keyboard, so it may be that I don't know what I'm missing. However, the eclipse has media controls, nice backlighting, and is (IMHO) the perfect size, keypress depth, and key spacing. if you do like it, make sure you get an eclipse II - the first one was mediocre and the eclipse III is crap - at least for the price they want for it.

if u guys want mechanical keyboards with macros, go with a razer blackwidow. i like it A LOT better than my logitech g110. i find no use for screens or anything. or u could go with something like a filco and get a logitech g13 gamepad

The logitech mk 520 is a well featured, basic wireless keyboard/mouse combination. The logitech wireless combo mk520 puts convenience and control comfortably at your fingertips.

Back