Good Joystick/Gamepad?

psupef2k

Weaksauce
I previously used microsoft sidewinder gamepad and joystick, but they are old, the stick is loose on the joystick, and I am just looking to update.

What is the best joystick out there? Mainly will be using it for BF2. Also, what about gamepad? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I use the PS2 to USB (Joypad) connector and use my PS2 Dualshock controller. I think it is the best controller to use. Those adapters are usually $10 dollars. I think Radioshack sells one.

I love my 360 wired controller, using 3rd party drivers. Works insanely well for everything.

Saitek X45 for the big spender.

Saitek Cyborg EVO for the mid-range spender.

A pencil and a rubber band for the cheapie. :D

for racing games, simple ps2 controller, i've never used the xbox 360 controller for racing so iono

but NSFMW | Flatout | Crashday | TMSunrise

all fantastic with ps2 usb controller

mines a logitech dual action 9.99 at best buy

you will be a Ace in no time with a joystick in bf2, setting up controls, also get use to switching views and fly u little bird FLY, pwning in no time.

i got a saitek joystick $20 from wally world

Couldn't be happier with my pair-o-360-pads. They work perfectly with everything I've tried. Excellent build quality, long cable, and very comfortable too.

I've still got a Microsoft Sidewinder Pro that i've used for years and it works great. Get one that forms to your hand well if your going to be playing for long hours. The ones that have all the flip up plastic pieces tend to break sometimes so be aware of that.

peacetilence said:
for bf2 I don't really think you need a joystick. That game is so limited that a cheap controller or even just the keyboard and mouse will suffice.
When I used to play the original BF games back in the day, the joystick made it much easier, and I got quite used to flying choppers and planes using it, so for me at least, a joystick will be a must for that game.

I bought a MS 360 Gamepad to play Dreamfall (PC). Pretty good choice in my opinon.

abudhu said:
I bought a MS 360 Gamepad to play Dreamfall (PC). Pretty good choice in my opinon.
Do you have to get any drivers for it?
I'm one of the few that likes the xbox controllers.

Kendrak said:
Do you have to get any drivers for it?
I'm one of the few that likes the xbox controllers.

There is an Install CD that is required, that installs a simple driver for it. So you needn't be worried about suddenly having some MS Controller App in your Start Menu or anything. I believe all the installer did was copy over some drivers to Windows so that when you plug it in Windows can find it.

abudhu said:
There is an Install CD that is required, that installs a simple driver for it. So you needn't be worried about suddenly having some MS Controller App in your Start Menu or anything. I believe all the installer did was copy over some drivers to Windows so that when you plug it in Windows can find it.
is the 360 controller USB?

psupef2k said:
is the 360 controller USB?

from what i seen on my buddy's 360. It looks like USB. I never did plug it into a pc to find out if it's one of them mis-shape ubs connectors.

I have two, a PS2 Dualshock with a USB adapter that has 2 inputs for 2 PS2 controllers and an Adaptoid for my N64 Controller that's brand spanking new from Nintendo :D.

Big thumbs up for the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad. PS2-alike, wireless.

No lag, great battery life, comfortable as PS2, and no cord. Had 'em for more than a year now, on three battery changes that I know of, and they get tossed and kicked and dropped and live around the coffee table in this 'ere bachelor pad, and have survived brilliantly in this hazardous environment. The D-Pad's not quite that of the PS2, but is workable, and isn't sticky or too lose or anything like that. I'd still rather see the separated buttons between the directionals.

I paid $60 for the pair at a local chain store, probably much cheaper now.

I tried the 360 controller for the first time the other night. Everythings within reach, I guess, but I don't really care for it overall. No specific gripes, though. I do admit that I get annoyed when I have to use more than just my thumbs for a videogame. I mostly stick to emulation and oldschool PC games more than new school console stuff, and the Fight Night control scheme (using that dumbass stick to throw punches) pissed me off.

I take back what I said. I decided to try a saitek joystick after all. The logitech is almost unusable in IL-2

if you have other games that would use it the ch products HOTAS setup is awesome. It is pricey though so it's not really worth it for just BF2. I do however use the throttle half for a keyboard replacement in all my FPS games as well though, so i've gotten great value out of it. Up to you.

TheAcorn said:
Big thumbs up for the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad. PS2-alike, wireless.

No lag, great battery life, comfortable as PS2, and no cord. Had 'em for more than a year now, on three battery changes that I know of, and they get tossed and kicked and dropped and live around the coffee table in this 'ere bachelor pad, and have survived brilliantly in this hazardous environment. The D-Pad's not quite that of the PS2, but is workable, and isn't sticky or too lose or anything like that. I'd still rather see the separated buttons between the directionals.

I paid $60 for the pair at a local chain store, probably much cheaper now.

I tried the 360 controller for the first time the other night. Everythings within reach, I guess, but I don't really care for it overall. No specific gripes, though. I do admit that I get annoyed when I have to use more than just my thumbs for a videogame. I mostly stick to emulation and oldschool PC games more than new school console stuff, and the Fight Night control scheme (using that dumbass stick to throw punches) pissed me off.

I use the actual PS2 version of the logitech wireless rumble with a PS2->USB adapter. I got the controller off of surplus comptuers for dirt cheap, but they don't seem to carry them anymore. I actualy have 2 of those and 2 Xbox ones also for some fun 4 player console emulation action.

PS2 controllers are very close in design I think to the old school NES/SNES controls. =D

jhego said:
HOTAS= Saitek x52
Gamepad= MS Xbox 360
I love the 360 controller. I will definitely pick one up for my pc.

Still deciding on the joystick. I also will need a headset. Any advice on that? I need something for gaming at night so that I don't make too much noise, and for it to double as a mic for communication in games like BF2/CS:S etc etc.

Thanks again!

I saw the Saitek x52 tonight...pretty awesome, but I don't need all that. What is the best Saitek stand alone joystick? I don't need the seperate throttle stick. Cyborg?

Also, thoughts on the Logitech 3D Pro? Didn't someone complain about it in this thread?

peacetilence said:
I take back what I said. I decided to try a saitek joystick after all. The logitech is almost unusable in IL-2
which logitech did you try?

Back