Good internet security software?

Sven_Lee

Limp Gawd
I was wondering. I have been having some issues with my ISP lately. They seem to be paying too much attention to me and what I'm doing on my computer. First they send me messages notifying me of increased uploading from my ip address and wanted to "make sure I didn't have a virus" .... Then, a few weeks later I get "Still seeing some upload activity and wanted to warn against peer to peer file sharing programs as they can act as gateways for hackers and blah blah blah"

Now it's come down to this. I don't condone illegal downloading of copyrighted material. However, bittorrent and other peer to peer file sharing programs have proven useful to me when I already own a copy of a program but I don't have the time to search through thousands of CDs. Instead, I can use my fast connection to download it and install it faster and easier than finding a CD.

So, that being said, I get a message two days ago from my ISP stating that they know I used bittorrent to download a copy of WinZip, and that "they won't disable my connection now, but warn that piracy is illegal and if asked they will cooperate in providing information to the proper authorities"

WTF?! I'm sorry. I work, I pay for what I own, and if they want to accuse me of something illegal I can easily defend myself and provide proof of ownership of all copyrighted material on my PC.

This really caught my attention. While, I haven't anything to hide, just how much do they know? What else are they watching me do? I realize they are my ISP, and since they provide my connection, they have pretty much every ability to monitor/record/censor every thing I do. I just want to know if there is software available to prevent this?

I admit, it has been a long time since I have cared about internet security, and I don't know why I stopped but I realize now I need to do something about this problem. I have never in my life since having established a connection to the internet had an ISP literally call my home and e-mail me so much about stupid BS that they shouldn't be sticking their noses in anyways.

So. I used to use Steganos a long time ago. I just stopped by their website and saw this- http://www.steganos.com/us/products/secure-surfing/internet-anonym-vpn/overview/

Looks about like what I'm looking for. Any ideas, or suggestions? Also, switching ISP's is not an option at the moment. Thanks for the help.

The simplest suggestion is to use your copy of your software and not someone else's. I know it sounds crass but it's true. You say you have a legitimate copy, it's much easier to find it than hire a lawyer. Also, I'd bet under the EULA it probably states that you are to use your own copy. If you own the DVD for a movie, and download it too so you don't have to use your disc to view it - that's illegal (for now). I agree it is absolutely ridiculous, but that's the way the law is for now.

At the same time, I believe that p2p networks are extremely useful for legitimate legal uses too. It's very unfortunate that ISPs treat it as a bad term, not unlike the term hacker. I am very much a hacker, like EVERYONE else on this board. We enjoy tech and explore it.

In regards to what ISPs can do with your bits, the quick answer is anything. The have terms of service of course, but they are always subject to change. If you want a quick idea of what they can see, download wireshark and sniff your nic. Browse the web and look at what you see. For instance, to login to this forum - you'll see your username and password in the clear. To see the worst extent of what they can do, watch this - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/homefront/view/

What can you do? Encrypt your data. I'm not real familiar with how to do that with P2P, since truthfully I rarely use it, except to download a linux distro. I just quickly looked at your link, that would work. Looks like tor, with the exception that the far side is a business that you can (hopefully) trust not to sniff/care about your traffic.

The root of the problem here started with bandwidth usage, and that's probably how it'll go away. Even if you use steganos, your usage will still be high, and although they can't prove you're doing anything illegal - they can still cap it. If you have a choice, I'd change ISPs. But chances are if your only choices are those on TV, you'll be in the same boat. I'm fortunate enough to have a municipally owned ISP, and they're too damn small to care what bits are doing.

Yeah my ISP is pretty small as well. I just don't want anyone sticking their nose in my business, at least not without a fight. I would like to protect my right to privacy as much as possible, especially in this day and age of uncertainty in the direction of our country. So if anyone else has a suggestion I'm listening.

hmm... or maybe some torrent proxy

If his ISP is invasive enough to know the actual program he downloaded, I'm guessing they would be able to tell no matter how you route it. Encryption might stir interest but they wouldn't be able to prove anything.

You could also use PeerGuardian, although I kind of doubt they're sniffing the actual servers. Never know, though, I guess.

Back