• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Good, inexpensive headset?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
9,315
Can anyone recommend anything? Right now I use a USB headet which sounds pretty decent, but it's pain in the ass due to being detected as an external audio device.

Looking for something that sounds good, uses standard audio jacks and doesn't cost a whole lot of $$$.
 
I've got the Creative Fatal1ty headset. It looks dumb because it has logos all over it, and it will kill you if you have a large head, but the sound quality is great and the mic is excellent.
 
thanks for the responses.

j_coddy, those actually look pretty decent. I like the larger style headphones like the one you posted.

Are they comfortable? How is the sound quality? Does it do a decent job of canceling outside noise?
 
They are very comfy for $34, I could wear them for a couple hours without them starting to hurt my ears. The sound was very good for the price of the headset. I wouldn't say that they cancel noise compared to some of the higher end headsets. If you do not have a lot of background noise to get rid of i wouldn't worry about that aspect. I had some extra cash and bought a set of Steelseries 5H V2. If I had it to do over again I would just keep the Plantronics.
 
Last edited:
I was using the SteelSeries 4H.. they are decent for what I paid for them. Definitely don't come close to my new cans though as far as audio quality goes but for something cheap with ok sound quality and a pretty good mic, they fit the bill for me.
 
I had a Plantronics headset that worked great for me. You can even get a free game right now from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265064

I just bought that set the other day. Its nice but im having troubles getting sed to stereo sound again. my old headset was the turtle beach earforce 5.1 that sounded great even though it might not have been true postitional 5.1, they were very nice. the plantronics are nice for the price but I think i need something a little better. I was gonna go with the fatal1ty set but everyone I asked flamed about them being "fatal1ty". I still think they would have been better then these plantronics.
 
as far as headSETs go: (u would a lot more sound quality from a regular headphone for the price)
i have tried them all. best bang for buck is the steelsound 4h. clean highs, more bass than its big brother the 5hv2, nice mic and comfy. the plantronics gamecoms have more bass but muddy mids and highs, not good for teamspeak and ventrilo. sennheiser headsets are genereally horrible sounding, but i modded my pc350 to a decent sound quality (expensive at 140$ tho)

i stuck some koss ksc75 drivers in a plantronics gamecom housing and came up with a very nice sounding headset! if u are mechanically inclined, grab these from ebay for 25$ combined and i can point u to the thread on headfi!
 
Back
Top