Good idea? (wiring related)

• Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

Ok I'm sick of staring at red, black, and yellow wires in my case everywhere, and im too lazy to find a sleeving kit, and do it. So im thinking of taking my mobo out of the case, and carefully wrapping all the wires in blue electrical tape..... thoughts? anything i need to watch out for? Good idea?

just wondering, what is this liquid electrical tape stuff? im guessing u paint it on, and it dries as a bendable tape? hmmmm not sure if i wanna use liquid stuff tho, but i guess i could try.... the end result for him looked so sweet....

hmmm ill hafta go to the hardware store soon and get some stuff for this... I'll get some blue electrical tape, and wrap it around carefully so i don't make the cables impossible to bend... aight thanx.

It will work, but if you don't take your time and make it look good, it will look REALLY REALLY bad.

the liquid tape might work if you twist the wires before coating and making sure to get a thick coat.

nah the guy in the overclockers thingy painted the ends so that there was absolutely no ugly wires....this will also give me a good chance to rewire my entire case! Today i redid the IDE and floppy cable, since they are silver, i let them show more (they are round cables). A'ight ill go to the store tommorow...

well this is a test i did with an extension cable for my comp:
IMGP1252.jpg

I used a roll of black electrical tape that i found around the house... just a quik thing i did, took me 30 seconds ... sry about the blurriness, its cus my camera has the lense open for like an hour while u take the pic, and my hands are a bit shaky :/

i would reaally really take the time and order a wire sleeving kit.

I've done the black electrical tape thing as well, and it ends up looking hideous! it's all opinion really, but to me it just looks ugly. Not only that, but even if you really take your time, the wires end up being a bigger pain in the ass to work with than non wrapped ones!

just my $.02

aight i really dont kno how to sleave cables and such... can u show me an instruction manual so i will kno whats involved? i heard u hafta take connectors off and shit....

It's really not that bad. I've done it twice now, and I'm hardly a modding god. I just used a small screwdriver to get the Molex off (plenty of guides out there, check the FAQ) and a nail (ghetto-fabulous) to push them back on. It's a hell of a lot easier if your mobo connector is already sleeved, as one of mine was. I'd say it took me maybe two-three hours from start to finish the second time. Just make sure you measure all the lengths of expandable tubing accurately, having them too long or too short is annoying. It really does make the inside of your case look better, and is a nice cheap mod to boot.

I like 3/8" better than 1/4", a little more room to work with to fit over stubborn areas. It also ends up looking nicer if you take the cover off your powersupply and run the tubing up inside then ziptie it there, but you have to have some balls to do that (can fry yourself on the powersupply if you don't take some precautions).

SVC has really cheap expandable tubing (like a buck for three feet, I used ~8 feet total on my last powersupply) and a good assortment of colors. They were out of almost all useful colors of heatshrink when I ordered (seems to be back now), which was annoying.

Gibo said:
It's really not that bad. I've done it twice now, and I'm hardly a modding god. I just used a small screwdriver to get the Molex off (plenty of guides out there, check the FAQ) and a nail (ghetto-fabulous) to push them back on. It's a hell of a lot easier if your mobo connector is already sleeved, as one of mine was. I'd say it took me maybe two-three hours from start to finish the second time. Just make sure you measure all the lengths of expandable tubing accurately, having them too long or too short is annoying. It really does make the inside of your case look better, and is a nice cheap mod to boot.

I like 3/8" better than 1/4", a little more room to work with to fit over stubborn areas. It also ends up looking nicer if you take the cover off your powersupply and run the tubing up inside then ziptie it there, but you have to have some balls to do that (can fry yourself on the powersupply if you don't take some precautions).

SVC has really cheap expandable tubing (like a buck for three feet, I used ~8 feet total on my last powersupply) and a good assortment of colors. They were out of almost all useful colors of heatshrink when I ordered (seems to be back now), which was annoying.

Just make sure to double check your wiring. You could fry some stuff maybe if you had the 12V 5V wires crossed. As far as opening the psu.. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all just don't touch stuff you shouldn't. You shouldn't have to touch anything electrical just to remove the little O ring thing and zip tie some sleeving and then replace.

i didn't know you were still working on that! Any new progress? I remember seeing this a long time ago and being amazed at the concept. And am still amazed at the prototype. :)

NickTheNut said:
i didn't know you were still working on that! Any new progress? I remember seeing this a long time ago and being amazed at the concept. And am still amazed at the prototype. :)

'yea I'm still trying to get a complete system built that will use this wiring concept. Life just keeps getting in the way of the progress (and now SATA is also lookin' real good to me). I now have most all the components to complete the project but I'm just not finding the available time to get the cables built anymore! Hell I'm only getting 2-3 hours sleep these days keeping my network running! But considering that all my storage right now is still using PATA busses, you can bet that I'm going to eventually build this -at a magnitude of 4 individual busses instead of the normal 2. That means that all 8 devices will be connected to this system! Pray that I get the time soon before SATA becomes all you see inside PC towers!!!

well good luck getting time to work on that. It's an ambitious project, one I'm suprised never caught on with other modder's. :)

edit: i'm tempted to try a similar style mod w/ an upcoming project I haven't found the time to start on. Either that or just a modular PSU. anyways... sorry to derail the thread :)

Back