Good Idea or High Tech Gone Wrong?

HardOCP News

[H] News
McDonald's is spraying robbers with synthetic DNA that stays on your skin for two weeks? Isn't eating their food torture enough?

McDONALD'S restaurants are fighting back against thieves by blasting suspected robbers with an invisible DNA spray as they attempt to flee. The spray, which remains on the suspect's skin for two weeks and on clothes for up to six months, has been introduced in some of the chain's busiest NSW stores, including those at Parramatta, Granville, Auburn, Lidcome, Kingsford and Wollongong.

What could possibly gone wrong? Oh yeah a bunch of innocent people making their way to escape a hostile situation wrongfully being identified and marked as criminals.

they would not be considered criminals for simply having the DNA on them. That sounds bad, but it would prove that they were there are the scene of the crime. This wont be a repeat of anti-apartheid rally. Luckily that one had a happy ending. Protest got a hole of it and sprayed the cops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Rain_Protest

What could possibly gone wrong? Oh yeah a bunch of innocent people making their way to escape a hostile situation wrongfully being identified and marked as criminals.

That's what the security footage is for. The only issue I see: not everyone is going to want to participate in McDonalds bukkake

That's what the security footage is for. The only issue I see: not everyone is going to want to participate in McDonalds bukkake

That was my first thought but I figured it was too gross to point out, but yes, many human excretions react to UV as well.

The reason I was pointing out innocence is because of a common theme I'm seeing in the UK in particular and that is with youths. Say there are a bunch of kids hangingout at a McDonalds and one of them decides to be stupid and causes enough trouble to get the panic button hit. I'm sure employees will want to hit it for more than just. "oh no we are being robbed" (we are talking about low wage employees here [hell I'd hit a panic button if I'm only getting 5$ an hour to deal with annoying customers]) So the kids disperse and all are marked as part of the "trouble makers" group, leading to unneeded arrest.

There's nothing like a well made Big Mac and their fries, again when properly made are simply the best.

The dye makes for a solid case against criminals and allows for retrieval of property. Innocent people will not have this on them except for some residual over-spray. People like you made this very same argument when they proposed dye bomb packs in money bags during robberies.... and so far I don't know of a single person innocently marked and as a result, prosecuted with these packs.

I am going to email SelectaDNA right now and see if they have any US distributors... I'm going to order these for work... would be great for recovery of stolen product and would make a great sales pitch. They sell gel and some other oils that you can put on fencing and other critical exterior items.... that is awesome.

The dye makes for a solid case against criminals and allows for retrieval of property. Innocent people will not have this on them except for some residual over-spray. People like you made this very same argument when they proposed dye bomb packs in money bags during robberies.... and so far I don't know of a single person innocently marked and as a result, prosecuted with these packs.

I am going to email SelectaDNA right now and see if they have any US distributors... I'm going to order these for work... would be great for recovery of stolen product and would make a great sales pitch. They sell gel and some other oils that you can put on fencing and other critical exterior items.... that is awesome.

The dye packets are inside of the money bags instead of the dye just being randomly sprayed out at people who are fleeing the scene.

"Gimme all your money. And super-size that order" :)

I never thought of McDonalds would be a big target, but with what they are charging these days they probably do have a lot of cash in the store.

McDonalds is getting very, very expensive.

so how do they fetch the DNA? are they simply assuming that the criminals will be caught and the DNA shows they were there? Or do they honestly think they can take samples of everyone?

A video surveillance system works too, hell be sly about it and make it hidden so no one can spray paint it, don't even tell employees where it is (only manager).

They need to borrow a page from the Burn Notice show: soon as you walk in, you get nano-bugged with nano-trackers.

so how do they fetch the DNA? are they simply assuming that the criminals will be caught and the DNA shows they were there? Or do they honestly think they can take samples of everyone?

A video surveillance system works too, hell be sly about it and make it hidden so no one can spray paint it, don't even tell employees where it is (only manager).

I don't think it's the criminal's DNA that will be exposed, but the DNA of the dye that'll match the dye at the scene of the crime.

This totally makes me want to get a suit from the uniform guy and go around spraying some random aerosol on everything and everyone in my local McD's and when they freak out, I will just say. "Don't worry. It's for your protection.":D

What would be even better is if they had NSFW Stores!!! :eek::eek:

When misreading makes things seem too awesome :(

I don't think it's the criminal's DNA that will be exposed, but the DNA of the dye that'll match the dye at the scene of the crime.

That's my point, they're banking on the criminals being caught so that they can see if they were in fact at the scene of the crime, akin to a dye packet that banks use. Something that can be done with a camera I'd think, but they need to spend money to get high resolution cameras not that cheap ass black and white crap where you can't make a person out 10 feet from it crap.

free tip for robbers:- rob the McDonald, go home burn ur cloths and stay inside for one month (and take shower everyday or it won't work).

even writing this here we've some dumbass criminals who'll rob the store in morning and go back there in evening to eat, as soon as they walk outside in low light/in dark they are spotted.

THe DNA spays stays ON you for 2 weeks, but what McDonalds fails to tell you is that their Big Mac stays IN you for 16 years.

Did police have so much trouble tracking down criminals who robbed McDonalds? It seems a litte overkill to me. Plus, all the criminals who read this will just wear disposable body suits when they hit up the local McDonalds in the future after reading this article.

Maybe if they put half as much effort into making their food a better quality they'd be on the right track. McDonalds food = tastes like cardboard

I'm still grappling with what they steal at McDonalds? Burgers? And letting a guy go with a meal cost more than rolling out uber DNA spray to every location in the world?

I mean how much money can be in the register? They've been taking credit cards for a while. And even if they are handling cash still - didn't gas stations solve this problem years ago by putting the 20's down the little locked box thing that nobody can open?

I'm so confused... Banks - yes. McDonalds - huh?

Did police have so much trouble tracking down criminals who robbed McDonalds? It seems a litte overkill to me. Plus, all the criminals who read this will just wear disposable body suits when they hit up the local McDonalds in the future after reading this article.

Maybe if they put half as much effort into making their food a better quality they'd be on the right track. McDonalds food = tastes like cardboard

I don't know man. The kind of guy that would stick up a Mc Donalds, likely doesn't have the forethought to wear a full body condom.

Glad to see we tech enthusiasts do not approve of Micky Rats. I hate that damn place and the way they brainwash children with that fucking clown.

I'm still grappling with what they steal at McDonalds? Burgers? And letting a guy go with a meal cost more than rolling out uber DNA spray to every location in the world?

I mean how much money can be in the register? They've been taking credit cards for a while. And even if they are handling cash still - didn't gas stations solve this problem years ago by putting the 20's down the little locked box thing that nobody can open?

I'm so confused... Banks - yes. McDonalds - huh?

Banks have guards and relatively great security. A McDonalds can have several hundreds of dollars per till. Usually, the safe is on a shift timer, but there would be $40k in there, depending on traffic.

Good for them! Spray it in their eyes while your at it!

Thiefs suck, we should follow the middle east standard and cut off your hand!

That would cut down on crime!

So how is this any different (functionaly) to the smartwater systems we've had around for years?

i know this is off topic.. but i find MacDonalds taste alot better in canada.

Back