• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good idea, bad idea?

Providence

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 23, 2006
Messages
193
I decided a while ago that it might be more fun if I use three hard drives.

1) 74 gig 10k raptor: Boot volume. Install Windows XP, virus scan stuff, Office, Acrobat, hard applications.
2) install all other applications. Games, codecs, etc.
3) Media volume. Anything that doesn't need an installation/registry key.

Is that a bad idea? I've been having some problems lately, and before I go blame something else I'm just wondering if the setup I have is really as ideal as I believed it to be.
 
So you are using the raptor for your boot drive, but what are the other drives you will be using?

But as far as I can tell, that is fine.
 
The other two are samsung 7200 drives. I didn't think it would really cause problems, but I just wanted to check...
 
The other two are samsung 7200 drives. I didn't think it would really cause problems, but I just wanted to check...

Yup, that is perfectly fine. One of my computers has 6 drives, another has 5, my gaming machine has 2 (no, not raid). I usually partition 10GB for my main drive for installed applications, games get put on the rest of the drive (separate partition). As for data, I always keep that on a separate drive so I don't accidentally delete that information when I reinstall windows.
 
I install all games and applications on whatever partition/drive Windows is on. If you ever have to format, you'll have a clusterfuck for a registry and a hell of a time with shortcuts.
 
Well, I can move registry keys, right? I've done it for minor applications...there's probably a smarter way of doing it than what I do (read: less time consuming) but I still see your point.
 
Put office on the secondary drives and try and put all your game files on the raptor, you'll see an increase in map loading times, also a slight boost in fps because the HD will become less of a bottleneck

put office, acrobat, virus, etc. all on secondary drives, it wont matter if u can load a small app like Word in 10 seconds or 8....really
 
Back
Top