good hsf combo?

Joined
Mar 23, 2004
Messages
58
Just ordered my mobile XP 2400+, what would be a good hsf combo to stick it with? I have the stock for a barton 2500+, but with a good OC, i'm guessing i would probably need a better air cooling solution (and water/phase change/TEC is out of the question here), quietness is appreciated, but not #1 proirity
 
zalman 7000Cu. it has an integrated silent fan. Its not only nearly the best performing SocketA heatsink, its also the best performance:noise HSF ;) As in its nearly silent.

Also why is WC out of the question? A good WC system is about $100
 
Since quietness is not a priority, you can also consider a Thermalright SP-97 with a decent 92mm fan.
 
kronchev said:
zalman 7000Cu. it has an integrated silent fan. Its not only nearly the best performing SocketA heatsink, its also the best performance:noise HSF ;) As in its nearly silent.

Also why is WC out of the question? A good WC system is about $100

When I leave for basic training next month, my mom gets my computer, and I'd rather not explain to her everything about W/C (because I don't know much myself)

But when I get back from basic, I'll probably get a nice W/C or phase change set up
And thanks for the rec. I've heard a lotta good things about it, and hopefully will make things a little quieter (I have 6 fans total)
 
Thermalright SP-97 is the king of aircooling... for now. The others are either way too heavy, or too noisy. You really don't want to put an 800-gram heatsink on your CPU ;)
 
The 7000A-Cu, 7000A-AlCu, and SP-94, and SP-97 (the last two with a 92mm fan for airflow) are very good choices, and all will serve you well. Also, the SLK-900A is a good alternative as well, and has been known to be on sale sometimes for $20, so it might be a bit cheaper than the others. The SP-97 will probably be the coolest out of the group due to the heatpipe design, but all will be well within operating tolerances and good for OCing (ie: your chip will reach its natural speed limit before the temp limits it). Here is a review of these heatsinks.

-SEAL
 
I'd say for the best performance right now get the SP-97.. Expensive plus you have to buy a fan, but it seems to be one of the best (if not the best) heat sinks on the market paired with a good fan.
 
The Aerocool DP-102 with a Tornado (minimum speed) and a TT80mm fan dropped my OC'd CPU temp 15°c under full load.
 
well, i decided to see what the stock cooler would do, and right now i'm running the 2400M @ 180 x 12.5 (held back by PC2700, wont POST above 180fsb), been priming it just fine w/ 33C load on stock cooler + AS3

so in other words, i'm prety freakin happy w/ the speed and temp (i'm still OC'ing it, but priming every 1.0 jump in multi)
 
Back
Top