good home router?

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
so i admit it - i'm a total tool with networking. the one part of computers and hardware that i know very little about. so i need you networking junkes to help me out here;)

i'm in need of a simple wireless/wired router to share a DSL connection between 2 computers (so the standard 4 port). from what little experience i have, theres a lot of crap out there. could be just me, but i dunno. so i'm torn between d-link, linksys and netgear at the moment. i've got a wired only d-link at home at the moment (belongs to the roomate, but they're moving this weekend) and i hate it. i also used to work for bell internet tech a couple years ago and one thing i remember is that linksys seemed to come up with the most trouble (plus bell will be my ISP soon). and finally, i hear a lot of people gripe about netgear.

so whats good?? all i'm looking for is something very standard. don;t need the extra features like little faster wireless, 54mbps is ok by me unless the cost for more is nil. a simple hardware firewall would be nice though. range enough for a medium sized house, and not much more. what do you guys use?

thanks from the networking n00b!

I would go with a netgear seeing you want wireless i would go with the Wireless RangeMax Series.
If you want standard lan side go with this
Or if you want Gigabit lan go with
This 2
They both are 802.11 Draft N compliant

after doing some research, i don't think anyone in my area carries netgear! damn shame, oh well.

so given a linksys or d-link what would be the better buy? and please, simple is better.

Well for linksys I would recommend this router. I've installed a bunch of these and none have given us any problems. I really haven't worked with D-Link products, although this particular router wasn't so bad when we were testing it at the office for a bit. I have no clue as to how their other routers fare, other than that their "gaming" line of routers seem to get good reviews overall.

Back