Good guide for OCing w/ ATi Tool?

Circuitbreaker8

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 22, 2004
Messages
5,078
Ok, this longs to be one of the last cold days in my area, and I just wanted to see what my max videocard OC is while the ambient temp is down. I have ATi Tool .25 beta 14 installed, and i'm running a Sapphire X1900XTX 512Mb (50* idle/70* load) I have the fan settings so that once the temps break 70*, the fan kicks in 100%. I tried using ATi tool for OCing once, and my screen got all fvcked up (nooby!) so I just gave up on it for a while and just used CCC to overclock. I've been running every game at 690/1600 with no problems, but I want to take it a little further. Anyone have a good guide for me?
 
Just run ATI tool, have have it test either memory or core speed, one at a time. It takes awhile, but it is worth watching, as if you let it go, sometimes it will crash your computer (especially while testing memory) before it catches an error.
 
I meant adjust voltages n stuff. I tried doing the scan thing and it instantly crashed. I'd rather do it manually anyways...I just need someone to help me get started :p
 
thanks for the links! What is the max voltage i should use on the both the core and mem (in 3d)

also, how do i make 2d and 3d profiles? Thats whats really confusing me...and is there a way to have it automatically switch once a game loads?
 
it all depends on how good your cooling is ,

with a stock cooler you should set the fan to 100% all the time when overclocking ,

also wouldnt recommend more then 1.475v on the core with a stock cooler ,
dont touch the mem voltage or any other voltages ,

you can play with it by bumping it a bit but i dont think it will help overclocking ,

at least it didnt on my card ,

just so you have something to go off of ,

my card maxed out at 745 core with 1.55v (watercooled)
and memory maxed out at 846 with stock voltage

to make a profile in atitool,
-click NEW
-name it
-adjust the voltages to whatever you want , save the voltages to that profile ,
-adjust clocks to what you want it to be , save the cocks to that profile ,

there is an option to autoload profiles but i dont use it , i just load my profiles before i start gaming ,

2d is just a stock profile , 500/600 clocks with 1.175 v on the core , you should make a new stock profile because the default doesnt remember the 1.175v on the core

3d is the same as 2d profile except it holds your overclock settings , you load it before you game
 
I started a new profile....didnt mess with any voltages, and OCed my core to 700 and my comp froze up and VPU recover kicked in...what gives lol
 
you need to set the core voltage to at least 1.4v

thats what stock 3d voltage is and then see what the max it can do at that voltage
 
bobrownik said:
you need to set the core voltage to at least 1.4v

thats what stock 3d voltage is and then see what the max it can do at that voltage

Ok, bumped it up to 1.4v and OCed to 700mhz core....tried loading up 3dmark05 and once the first test finished loading, the screen just went blank.
 
Temps can't break 70* since the fan kicks in 100%

I dont think I need higher voltage either....do I? I mean its 100% fine @ 690 w/ CCC.
 
first of all ,
you need to have the fan set to 100% all the time like i already told you ,
not the way you are doing it ,

i coulnt get 690/800 completely stable even with the fan @ 100%,

i would be able to play a game like fear or Black & White 2 for 20 minutes before it would lockup

your fan settings are not gonna work ,
before the fan reaches 100% the gpu will crash and that will be the end of your overclocking adventure
 
Back
Top