Good Grad Gift...

DRJ1014

Supreme [H]ardness
My brother is graduating this year and i want to get him a nice grad gift. He loves his comp like i love mine. here are his comp spec

Athlon XP 2400+ (H2O cooled) || Koolance Exos Watercooler (Tt Smart Case Fan 2 modded) || Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0 (chipset H2O cooled) || 768MB DDR PC2100 memory || ASUS Radeon 9800XT || WDC 36.7gb raptor SATA (H2O cooled) || 60gb IBM || 60gb Maxtor Hotswap || Audigy 2 Platinum || Lite-On 40x12x48 || Antec 550watt TrueControl

Im not exatly sure what to get him. it seems like he has all of the good stuff. i have about 150 to spend. ne good ideas?

Wow. That could be hard, it sounds like he has everything...

DVD burner maybe? TV tuner card? How's his sound setup, maybe some nice surround sound speakers? Give him an upgrade to dual monitors maybe?

It sounds like he's doing good hardware wise, and judging from the video card I'm guessing he loves games, so why not get him a bunch of games he doesn't have already (obviously)? A computer is only as good as the software running on it :)

give him a good proc and give him an actual number of ram. 768 is so shitty.

or you could give him a REAL watercooling kit if you think he could handle it..

he has creative 6.1 180 watt surround sound. he has over 1500 dollars worth of games. he is getting PC3200 Corsair 1GB DDR XMS Pro Series Memory. dvd burners are to expensive for the good ones. dont want to geto one where u need 2 dvds just to burn one dvd

Originally posted by DRJ1014
he has creative 6.1 180 watt surround sound. he has over 1500 dollars worth of games. he is getting PC3200 Corsair 1GB DDR XMS Pro Series Memory. dvd burners are to expensive for the good ones. dont want to geto one where u need 2 dvds just to burn one dvd

Do the kid a favor and get him a gym membership or maybe some rollerblades.

might i suggest , ut2k4 or battlefield vietnam both coming out next week

or , u could try the liteon 8x dvd burner , mine was like $130 and i dunno what u mean by u need 2 dvd's for 1...

then again the new ones will prolly be coming out before the end of the year. which will be the dual .

what i mean by 2 on 1 is that u will need 2 blank dvd inorder to burn one dvd. the burners that are out right now dont compress the files onto one dvd. the more expensive ones (ones in 300 dollar range) are the only ones that i know of that dont do this. I was thinking of unreal tournoment 2003 and This case What do you think? also he has the watercooler so would this case work with the hard drives the way there positioned?

what i mean by 2 on 1 is that u will need 2 blank dvd inorder to burn one dvd. the burners that are out right now dont compress the files onto one dvd.
That's one option. But there are programs that compress it to fit on one DVD at little loss in quality. It just takes time to re-encode. But you're probably better off waiting for dual layer burners in this case. UT2004 would be good, but in my opinion, Thermaltake cases are fugly.

what i mean by 2 on 1 is that u will need 2 blank dvd inorder to burn one dvd. the burners that are out right now dont compress the files onto one dvd. the more expensive ones (ones in 300 dollar range) are the only ones that i know of that dont do this. I was thinking of unreal tournoment 2003 and This case What do you think? also he has the watercooler so would this case work with the hard drives the way there positioned?

That's a pretty cool case. As long as he doesn't LAN haul his computer around too much, that would be a sweet chassis. I traded in my steel Antec for an aluminum Super LanBoy and it makes a huge difference.

get him another raptor and a RAID controller if he needs it. that way he can run RAID 0 for him games and stuff

what bout monitors?...keyboards, mouse, gamepads, driving wheels, joysticks, cameras, etc...peripherals...

maybe you can get a monitor and mod it?..with a window?...thats what i plan to do

he has a logitech keyboard and a mx700 logitech cordless mouse. he has a nec flat screen 17 in monitor. he has a driving wheel and pedels. it is hard to buy for him because he has just about everything.

ya it does. im probaly just going to get him the case.

Get him a good DVD Burner. If you wait for the latest tech, you'll always be waiting and paying top dollar. DVD Burner. Get it :)

lol i think im going to stick with the case. Im not even sure if i will be getting him anything if i dont start my job soon.

Originally posted by wayne
maybe you can get a monitor and mod it?..with a window?...thats what i plan to do

I'd like to see that...

too expensive for the good ones?

my lite on 811S is a GREAT dvd burner , newegg has em for 130$

Originally posted by 133
I'd like to see that...
would u really?

is it cus you dont believe me?.... well, i didnt get the idea, i got it from a guide... i ll look for the guide later and post the link

or i might just actually do it first before i find the guide

as long as my dad doesnt discover me "ruining a monitor bought with hard-earned money"

geeez man there is and edit/delete button. USE IT!!!

Originally posted by KingPariah777
I think for the kid that has everything, modding something yourself would be meaningful.
yup, modding it yourself for him is something thats like one of a kind, no one can ever reproduce the same thing because u made it yourself.... they can reproduce similar kinds but it will never be the same

so modding is like art, will never have another replica, special...

Twistedmods has a nice monitor modding guide.

I would just ask him what he wants. I always hate getting gifts that I don't want, haha :)

Back