Good GPS?

Cally

Limp Gawd
I don't know if this is the forum to ask or not? I have been searching for days reviews on different GPS units. It seems none of them make people happy. I am getting weary eyed trying to decide. Can anyone recommend a good unit?

I would like one that doesn't use MSN traffic service (due to it's going to stop).
One that would give me lane change info.
Let me do multiple point destinations.
includes a usb cable ( so I don't have to buy one extra).
Doesn't charge me to update the map.
Has clear speech
Lets me charge the unit while driving.
Cost less than $200

Am I asking too much?

In short, yes. Also, no one unit is perfect.

From my foray into researching automotive GPS units 6 months ago (I eventually gave up and use my iPhone instead), multi-destination routing and lane-assist were mid- to upper-tier features, meaning roughly the $200 units and up. Also, don't expect to find ANY company to offer decent map updates without requiring you to shell out an amount similar to what you paid for the device. I know Garmin offers free map updates for life, but it costs somewhere around the equivalent of 2-3 new GPS units.

When I was searching around, google and gpsreview.net's forums were my friends. The best thing you can do is go to a brick and mortar store and try them for yourself. Sure, they're inside and you can't test their actual use, but most have some sort of offline test mode. Find out which interface you're most comfortable with and consider how easy it will be to use while in a car (while stopped, of course). They will all have their particular quirks. There's no way around it, which is why there are so many polarized reviews.

The automotive GPS world is somewhere where you just have to go with what feels right, and as long as you stick with a major brand, you probably won't end up with a total lemon.

Back