Good Gigabit Switch

Is this for home use or business use? Netgear is shit for bsuiness use. I'd go with HP. For home use Linksys has some decent GigE switches.

oakfan52 said:
Is this for home use or business use? Netgear is shit for bsuiness use. I'd go with HP. For home use Linksys has some decent GigE switches.
It's home use.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/2000_workgroup_gig?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Take a look at the Dell Gigabit PowerConnect (26xx) series, the 8port starts at $69 after $50 mail-in-rebate.

I have the 2216 FastE at home and love it -- it is quite frankly faster than the netgear, linksys and no-name (CompUSA boxed) switches I have used in the past. I have no real numbers to back that up -- just saying it seems quite a bit more capable than the others.

Second nod for the Dell. I have an 8 port, the original one they sold, here at the house, it works great. And you can't beat the price.

The Dell home switches don't support Jumbo Frames, so the gigabit isn't too much over regular 100. There is a SMC switch for $99 that is 8 port I think that supports Jumbo Frames. I was looking at it the other day to replace my linksys since all my computers here are now gigabit.

I have the SMC 8505T switch. Newegg sells it for $100, but I got it from here
It costs $56. It supports jumbo frames and seems to be a good switch for the money. I bought it because of jumbo frame support. It is the only low priced switch that suports jumbo frames; the next cheapest was around $350.

My 3Com OfficeConnect Gigabit switch is kick ass. Not a single problem.

prd_lg_3c1670500.gif

I despise 3Com products but if you've had good experiences with them then cheers. =) My hate for them started about two years ago with the release of the officeconnect switches; which our secretary purchased for us when we asked her for switches.

Not only did they cost nearly three times as much as a netgear switch, they were simply hubs and also had a tendancy to switch everything to half duplex and die every now and then. Bah.

netgear switches are slow. plain and simple you put it next to a linksys and it will be put to shame.

oakfan52 said:
netgear switches are slow. plain and simple you put it next to a linksys and it will be put to shame.

Not the FS105's we use at work -- they put some of the Cisco stuff we've got to shame. Sure that's most likely due to misconfiguration, but then it's the government so what're you going to do? =)

I despise 3Com products but if you've had good experiences with them then cheers. =) My hate for them started about two years ago with the release of the officeconnect switches; which our secretary purchased for us when we asked her for switches.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

i ahve noticed that the "home stuff" is mediocre from most network gear players but get into their enterprise stuff and usually comes down to price and ease of management.

I have never had any issues with netgear in a home environment. But I sure as hell would NOT recommed them for business use. Same with linksys.

the 3com office connect are total crap. Now there switches that are labeled 3com switches 7700 or 4xxx are damn spiffy. Though i like cisco and extreme networks gear.

Back