• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good Gaming LCD?

Zake202

Gawd
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
559
I don't much care for CRT's anymore as I don't play as many FPS.

I mainly play MMORPG's and I'm wondering what type of LCD to aim for.

I was looking at this but have no idea what to look at in a monitor anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026

What I looked at before was:

Low MS
High contrast ratio
and a good brightness.

Also, what is GTG in these newer lcd's? The HDMI ones and such...

Anyone help me out here?
 
Personally I'd love an LG w2254tq. It's only 22" and 1680 but a great monitor and you'd save 100$

EDIT - GTG: Gray to Gray response time refers to the time that it takes for a pixel to twist from some arbitrary position to another. On a 6-bit LCD, that's the time it takes the subpixel to twist from 1 of 64 different positions to one of the other 63 positions. GTG response times are useful if the manufacturer expresses the average of all the GTG response times, but that is rarely the case.
 
What do you recommend about this one then?

I'm using an old 19" lcd from Hyundai. Good at the time, and still good now, but it's not WS.

I've considered upgrading and this 28" seems like a good deal but will my card etc run it?

Have an Ati 4850 so I'm assuming so.

Just not sure if it's good for gaming. I dont mine 60refresh, i like the brightness of lcds.

The deal ends today that's why I'm wondering.
 
I've considered upgrading and this 28" seems like a good deal but will my card etc run it?
Personally I would never go over 1680 for gaming unless I'm running double cards. I have an 8800gt and even so I sometimes feel 1680 is just a tad too much for it: a 28" would murder it. Now I get the feeling you're not playing the most resource-intensive games so you could probably do with a 28" just fine. But I don't feel a good 22" would be a massive step-down unless you sit very far from your monitor.

EDIT - oh the HORROR.... I just noticed it has no dvi: abort, abort, abort! No wonder it was so cheap: it's a friggin analog screen! (well not really: I exaggerate for effect)
Do not accept anything that isn't a DVI screen!
 
Last edited:
I mainly play WoW and Warhammer.

I don't really stray from these games a lot.

I plan to play D3 etc in the future.

What type of monitor would be suggested then?

I see a lot of positive reviews for this one, especially gamers.
 
What type of monitor would be suggested then?
A monitor with: dvi and good contrast. Like I said: my personal fave is LG w2254tq

I see a lot of positive reviews for this one, especially gamers.
I don't want to be mean: but most "gamers" are tweens that don't really know that much and think alienware PCs are a good buy.


Just look for a monitor with 1680 or 1920 res with: DVI, 8 bit TN-panel atleast (SPS or IPS if it fits your budget), good contrast, 5ms or under response. Get something that measures up to these criteria and you should be happy.
 
Can't say I'm a noob to computers, I build mine etc, but I haven't bought a new monitor in a while. I use it for other things but mainly games.

Anyway, thank you for the replies.
 
A monitor with: dvi and good contrast. Like I said: my personal fave is LG w2254tq


I don't want to be mean: but most "gamers" are tweens that don't really know that much and think alienware PCs are a good buy.

I agree, Alienware is overpriced.
 
I mainly play WoW and Warhammer.

I don't really stray from these games a lot.

I plan to play D3 etc in the future.

What type of monitor would be suggested then?

I see a lot of positive reviews for this one, especially gamers.

If all you play is WoW and Warhammer, you don't need a gaming monitor. Gaming monitors are for competitive gaming, mostly FPS.
 
If all you play is WoW and Warhammer, you don't need a gaming monitor. Gaming monitors are for competitive gaming, mostly FPS.

Gaming monitors are cheap as hell anyway, so it's not like there's any harm getting one if it has what you're looking for.
 
For those games you just have to worry less about the response rate, so your 3ms (probably GTG) shouldn't matter much, I'd just get a cheaper monitor with a higher response rate. I agree without DVI it gets more complicated, but I think it's not too hard to get an HDMI adapter to hook it up. I found this just searching around, maybe it will help: http://www.ehow.com/how_4457043_connect-pc-hdmi-tv.html
 
Back
Top