Good Games for Lanning?

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
So with the announcement that BF Bad Company is not going to allow self-hosted dedicated servers, we are at a loss for a game to replace it.

There are classics like CS, COD4, etc. that could be played but what else could we play on a lan with around 20 people that is a good game that involves everyone and works in a lan environment?

So with the announcement that BF Bad Company is not going to allow self-hosted dedicated servers, we are at a loss for a game to replace it.

"Electronic Arts have also decided they will not distribute the dedicated server software to the general public. The battlefield blog states - “There are many factors for why we have decided this with the biggest factor being security & integrity of our game & Dedicated Servers." This means you won't be able to host your own server using your own server hardware, however you will still be able to rent one - unlike in the much publicized Call of Duty 6 system. The vast majority of dedicated servers are rented by the admins, rather than run.

This may be a mid-way between getting rid of dedicated servers, and having the complete server package that previously was shared. If EA pulls it off correctly you can expect the system to be used across a range of future games. As with a lot of recent moves eliminating dedicated servers the core reason EA does not want to give out the dedicated server software is piracy. All the previous games have had the software hacked to be able to allow pirated copies play on private servers. However the software has been made and will be distributed to server hosts, so I would place a bet on it leaking out."

We'll figure a way to LAN with this game.. Even if we have to rent a game server from NFO or something..

Last edited:
anybody know if this is solely for the BETA version ??

ANSWER: NO, it also applies to the the real thing when released March 02.

Last edited:
^ YES. TF2 is pretty much all we play at LANs these days (plus some Quake III for old time's sake and sometimes WC3 when we get tired). It's an awesome game on it's own, but it's next to perfect when you're playing with friends. Strategizing takes on a whole new form because the enemy can hear you. It's the quality of your plans that becomes important, not the element of surprise.

Maybe go back to basics with bf1942? That game is an unchallenged classic. I also support TF2.

Maybe go back to basics with bf1942? That game is an unchallenged classic. I also support TF2.

We run TF2 here.. And CS:S. But we've always had this third game, which for several years actually was BF:1942, and therefore thought that Bad Company 2 would be a welcome addition, b/c it's a remake of the original on a new engine (Frostbite2) and has DX11 for allt he guys that have Win7 and new cards. Several of us have signed up for the BETA which becomes available on the 26th of January so we'll see. II did find 1942 all over the place for like $9.99 so that's certainly affordable in these "recession" times. I wonder how it runs on Win7 ??

TF2 and HL2 : Deathmatch are the only two games we really have fun with at LANs.

CSS just ends up getting too dramatic (ie. yelling and shouting), and L4D degrades into arguments.

Been playing starcraft 1 lately since everyone has been burned out on FPS. Sure the graphics are completely outdated but its fun playing eachother or coop vs the computers. Had a 3 hour game last night :cool:

Last edited:
UT3 (with Titan Pack), UT04 (for Bombing Run), and UT Classic because well it's a classic. :D

I've also played a great deal of Demigod whenever I host a LAN. Won't really support 20 people though :(

Been playing starcraft 2 lately since everyone has been burned out on FPS. Sure the graphics are completely outdated but its fun playing eachother or coop vs the computers. Had a 3 hour game last night :cool:

Its not out yet?

Instead of DOTA just go for HON...i think its open beta and would be a great game if you have 2-10 players.

F.E.A.R. is free for multiplayer, so people don't have to pirate it if they don't already own it. We played it at the last lan party as well as q3, cod mw, and the original UT.

UT3 (with Titan Pack), UT04 (for Bombing Run), and UT Classic because well it's a classic. :D

I've also played a great deal of Demigod whenever I host a LAN. Won't really support 20 people though :(

I really think any UT title is bread & butter to a lan when it either kicks off or when everybody has trouble seeing just one of the screen.

CS, L4D, COD, WoW (can be fun if you do arena together or something). I've also found rockband and guitar hero is awesome.

When we need a break from fps we usually switch to supreme comander for a while. Its a nice break from running and gunning. Although we usually know whose going to win goling into it. There was a major upset last time when the ignored newbie came out from the shadows a with an army of bombers and wooped all of us. So... always interesting

CS;S and Quake 3 arena always a must for FPS but to mix it up you gotta throw down some Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, WC3 for an RTS. Maybe a racing game like GRID or Blur to mix it up a bit. biggest pain is making sure everyone has the game, if its hacked they gotta make sure its the correct version of the game with the necessary crack. Oh yes and plenty of hard drive space for the Fileshare game. Everyones favorite

Over the weekend Steam had a free play for "Lead and Gold" and it was pretty fantastic for LAN play. Max 10 players but it was still a lot of fun.... not 100% sure if it was LAN play or just "route out and back in" play, but either way it was a lot of fun as people were learning the controls.

In a Serious Sam 2 server, you can make the difficulty as high as you want. I've played with 16 and it's pretty intense...you can also set the player limit as high as you want, too!

Back