Good free monitoring software?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
What do you think is better?

I know of Pandora, Zenoss, and there's a few others I forget. I'm semi familiar with Pandora as we use it at work (I don't administrate it though so I only know the front end). I'm leaning towards using Pandora for my home/internet servers, but wondering if the other solutions are better.

I have an old box sitting doing nothing, think I'll turn it into a Pandora monitoring box.

We use Splunk at work. Just starting to dive into it and learn more about it but from what I can tell it can monitor just about anything.

Nagios is amazing. You can have Nagios do anything you could imagine. You can make simple scripts to monitor ANYTHING. There is also a fairly large community behind it, so you get great things like iPhone apps and samples and plugins, etc. I use Nagios to monitor latency,uptime, network, hard disk, cpu, ram utilization, etc. I also use it to check SQL databases, web apps, and server dameons.

Another great open source tool is Cacti. Cacti is a RRD tool that gives you a beautiful web interface for viewing graphs, adding hosts, making templates, etc.

I have some Nagios/ Cacti information on my blog at http://blog.mjwired.com

Back