Good free Linux based monitoring software?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking at setting up monitoring software on my Atom box that is currently powering my hvac system. I want it to be easy to setup the agents on various platforms (linux mostly, but Windows too) as well as support custom alarm points such as executing a SQL query or script and checking the value. Mostly the key is ease of setup though.

I have a bit of experience with Pandora as we use it at work. It has a few quircks and is not the easiest to setup an agent for, but it's not too bad.

I heard Nagios is good as well. I'm aiming towards that one just because I heard lot of good things about it. Just wondering what else is out there and what is everyone's recomendations?

Oh and I would be monitoring offsite servers as well, so push agent is prefered so I don't have to open up ports on the remote servers. I rather just open up a port on the monitoring box (which will be at my house) and IP restrict it. More secure that way.

Nagios is pretty much the defacto standard for linux host monitoring. Its good once you get it setup

nagios + cacti is what I use. I use VPN tunnels to my remote client sites to monitor those.

Cool looking at nagios now. Giving me grief with the plugins though. :/. I try to install the nagios-plugins-all package through yum but it's complaining that I need nagios-plugins-dhcp and icmp, if I try to install them, it says "nothing to do". Gotta hate dependency hell. The web interface is also telling me I have no access to anything. (was hoping installing the plugins would magically fix this).

I'll do some more googling and see if I can figure out these issues.

Zenoss... Zenoss... Zenoss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seriously can be as easy as apt-get install zenoss-core

yes, zenoss is free. its really powerful too. only problem with zenoss is it gets sluggish as you scale but this is being resolved in version 4 which isn't far away.

I deployed Zenoss at work to replace an expensive licensed product. So far everyone that uses it likes it a lot.

Back