Good enough for this build?

Arkalius

Limp Gawd
I'm putting together a new sandy bridge system and I wanted to make sure I'm getting enough PSU.

Core i7 2600K
Either ASUS or Gigabyte mid-range P67 mobo (haven't chosen yet)
2x4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD (SATA II)
Intel 80GB SSD
GeForce GTX 470 (eVGA superclocked model)
one or two optical drives
I might add a sound card later depending on how onboard sound treats me.

I used newegg's PSU calculator and selected an LGA1156 chip for the cpu since they don't have sandy bridge in there yet and it suggested 640W (without sound card). I'm planning on getting the Corsair HX750W and I am thinking this would probably do the trick, but I figure I'd let the crowd here vet this choice.

1. Do not get the Intel 80 GB G2 SSD (If you can't wait for the G3 drives, get OCZ Vertex 2)
2. Go for GTX 570 instead
3. Corsair AX750 PSU

1. Do not get the Intel 80 GB G2 SSD (If you can't wait for the G3 drives, get OCZ Vertex 2)
2. Go for GTX 570 instead
3. Corsair AX750 PSU

1. Drive is already ordered and shipped. What's wrong with the G2? These drives get 5 eggs in reviews from newegg... the OCZ ones have less reviews and average 4 stars, most of the complaints including drives that fail to be detected and do not show the advertised read and write speeds...
2. And if I don't want to pay an extra $100? I run 1680x1050, I think the 470 will do just fine for that.
3. For the wattage, the HX seems perfectly fine to me. I don't see a reason to pay more money. And, now I'm looking at the HX650W since I don't seem to need 750.

Last edited:
AX series is very nice...but not so much nicer then the HX that it will matter. There are other good units in this range. The Seasonic X series comes to mind, as does the XFX XXX and Black Edition PSU's. Lots of good options...

NewEgg's power supply calculator is way off. That rig would run fine off a quality 500w unit.

Much more accurate calculator - http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine

500-600W is enough depending on the overclock.

I have the system in my sig running at stock on a 425W Enermax. Haven't done full CPU and GPU sintetic stress test to push the system, but in terms of gaming I have had no problems what so ever.

Corsair 650 should be a decent unit.

Back