Good editorial on audio compression

agent420

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 6, 2001
Messages
1,388
From MSNBC of all places

DRM aside, I worry that audio fidelity will take a back seat to marketing in the future. There could be a day when all music is purchased electronically in a compressed format... Think them money grubbin' riaa folks are going to spring for all the bandwidth uncompressed files need?
 
Pop music in general has been notorious for craptacular recordings, as has metal, and rap (hip-hop is different guys...just a reminder :) ). They always make the recording too hot and screw up the dynamic range...and wasn't dynamic rnage what we bought CDs for in the first place?

I really do think the record industry is beyond help. they just need to stop, and fire all the boy bands, and spears-alikes, stop the smerican idol crap, let go of all the durst wannabes, the metal bands that use the same riffs in every song, and start over...get talent this time, and perfect mastering....then i MIGHT get back to dropping $300/mo on CDs...as opposed to me $0.00 right now, since I don't know how bad the recording will have been butchered by bad techs at the mastering console.
 
mustang_steve said:
since I don't know how bad the recording will have been butchered by bad techs at the mastering console.

Yeah, I can't remember the CD, but the bass sounded like shit...even on my beloved klipsch :p :confused:
 
That is a good article. I'm a little disappointed there wasn't anything on lossless compression, as that should be where the future of compressed audio is going, rather than more and more elaborate DRM.

I don't think enough people realize that, while they save money buying their albums and whatnot on iTunes, they are also getting an inferior product.

Then again, with the normal public, it's no surprise. My girlfriend said that she couldn't tell the difference between my Onix Reference 2's [2500$ speakers] and her car stereo...and I think a lot of people are like that.
 
Back
Top