Good crt monitors

Eppidemic

Weaksauce
I've heard of the GDM-FW900. Is their any other monitors that are neer this size and quality. they say this is the best one ever made. but surely competitors put out something close. Please list product numbers. I thought I would like to search for one of them on craigs list and the such.

thank you.

I know that there is the HP A7217A, the same thing as the FW900, but I would really like to hear more about this topic as well.

The GDM-FW900 and GDM-W900 were the largest PC CRT's made and the only ones that were widescreen (16:10 aspect).

HP made identical versions of the FW900 and W900 (Same internals just different case color).

SGI also has a clone of the FW900 (same internals). Link

The W900 model is the older/lesser model ,its the same size as the FW900 but isn't flat screen (it has curved glass), has a lower max resolution and .25mm dot pitch vs. FW900's .23mm pitch.

There can be only one, and one has won ;)

The FW900 aka fw9012, a7217a, 90w11

If you can find one under $300 and it's in alignment, grab it.

However you are about a year too late unless you find something local.

Also they tend to die after a few years, mine just died last week and I miss it terribly.

There can be only one, and one has won ;)

The FW900 aka fw9012, a7217a, 90w11

If you can find one under $300 and it's in alignment, grab it.

However you are about a year too late unless you find something local.

Also they tend to die after a few years, mine just died last week and I miss it terribly.

My FW900 was manufactured in 2002 and still going strong right now. I'll probably end up looking for another FW900 when / if it dies lol

My FW900 was manufactured in 2002 and still going strong right now. I'll probably end up looking for another FW900 when / if it dies lol

Just a warning the day after I posted something similar mine died (seriously!)

You'll get about a month ahead of a warning when it starts becoming hard to turn it on. If it takes a few tries for it to "catch", it's days are numbered and don't kid yourself, it really will die...

( :( sniffle, I do miss it so - I'm on a P991 now and 4:3 sucks)

Just a warning the day after I posted something similar mine died (seriously!)

You'll get about a month ahead of a warning when it starts becoming hard to turn it on. If it takes a few tries for it to "catch", it's days are numbered and don't kid yourself, it really will die...

( :( sniffle, I do miss it so - I'm on a P991 now and 4:3 sucks)

Ya I hear ya. . nothing lasts forever ..come to think of it this is the longest lasting CRT ive owned. They usually develop some sort of annoying issue by now (if not dead altogether) Guess i should consider myself lucky.

Sorry to hear about your FW900.

I have the following monitors:

Sony FW900
Mitsubishi 230SB
Philips 202P70
Lacie Electron 22 Blue (v2)

The Lacie blows the other 3 away in terms of text sharpness and clarity.

I will buy another FW900 the day my current one dies, unless SED/FED or OLED are out by then.

Damn guys if my Sony dies I will cry. Better chain yours to the desk if it does! This monitor is the shit!!!

The GDM-FW900 and GDM-W900 were the largest PC CRT's made and the only ones that were widescreen (16:10 aspect).

HP made identical versions of the FW900 and W900 (Same internals just different case color).

SGI also has a clone of the FW900 (same internals). Link

The W900 model is the older/lesser model ,its the same size as the FW900 but isn't flat screen (it has curved glass), has a lower max resolution and .25mm dot pitch vs. FW900's .23mm pitch.
There is also a Sun version. Looks kinda like the SGI one.

Iiyama CRTs are also worth looking into, IMO, unless you're dead-set on widescreen :)

LG will release a 15" OLED display this year. Officially it's an HDTV, but it may be usable for monitor purposes as well.

Ya I hear ya. . nothing lasts forever ..come to think of it this is the longest lasting CRT ive owned. They usually develop some sort of annoying issue by now (if not dead altogether) Guess i should consider myself lucky.

Sorry to hear about your FW900.

My 2001 lives on at my folk's place...

...and the only ones that were widescreen (16:10 aspect).
No, Mitsubishi definitely had one that offered a different dot pitch than the FW900, and there were other unique 24"ers. They aren't easily found and some were exclusive to foreign markets.

I will buy another FW900 the day my current one dies, unless SED/FED or OLED are out by then.
This!

Never heard of any other widescreen computer monitor. Link?

(Presentation monitors, TVs, of course, yes, but not true high performance computer monitors...)

FW900 is not the best CRT, but it's the only widescreen one I've ever seen for sale in North America. It is one of the best, but is easily outdone by some high-end 4:3 CRTs, like Sony's own F520. NEC/Mitsubishi makes a few nice ones, as well.

Iiyama CRTs are also worth looking into, IMO, unless you're dead-set on widescreen :)

Another vote for IIYama. I own a Vision Master Pro 17" with the .25 dp Aperture Grille Diamontron panel -- still going strong 10 yrs later. Model # is MT-9017E, the predecessor to the 400 series. Outstanding color accuracy. Will do 1600 x 1200 @ 72hz.

Now that I've recently bought my first LCD (BenQ V2400W), not sure what I'm going to do with it. Either keep as a backup or sell it in a garage sale...

FW900 is not the best CRT, but it's the only widescreen one I've ever seen for sale in North America. It is one of the best, but is easily outdone by some high-end 4:3 CRTs, like Sony's own F520. NEC/Mitsubishi makes a few nice ones, as well.

"Easily outdone" nope...had/have both, yes...F520 wins, inch to inch, on the specs, but both have spectacular image quality and the FW900 is substantially bigger...

It's really kind of an apples to oranges comparison actually...

I also found the FW900s to be more reliable and have better build quality...(assembled in Japan appears to have made a difference there...)

You wont find many F520's around as they had a very high failure rate.

Back