Good Core2 board for phase?

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
I've already tried an MSI 975X Plat, and a Gigabyte S3. Both of these boards are okay, but have lots of mid-sized components very close to the CPU socket. This makes trimming the insulation a nightmare.
We just started carrying the P5B vanilla at CompUSA- it looks much better than the above boards, but overclocking is limited. The P5B Deluxe overclocks better, but also has more parts around the socket again. Can anyone suggest a best-of-both-worlds motherboard? My e6400 does close to 3.6GHz on stock Intel cooling, so I'm pretty sure it could do 4GHz given the right combination.

The Abit AW9D-Max looks to have some good stuff going for it. Have you checked it out?
Here is a pic I found with a good view of the skt.
my.php

Cool, thanks! Biostar doesn't look like it OC's well (need a 400FSB minimum), so I guess I'd better start saving up for the AW9D. :) Just wish the AB9 had as much clearance as its "bigger" brother...

Thanks for all the help so far! How's that X2 working out for you so far, done anything in the way of extreme cooling on it?

I have not had time to do shiz with the Mach1 I bought to put on it. I have a evap cut out but need time to put it together. What kind of price you give me on the Gigabyte board if you still got it? I got a E6300 connie with a board limited to 300 fsb. :(
You need to get that hooked up. I know your chip is 4.0 capable. You have the tools now do it! :D

Returned the S3 for clearance reasons, but can pick up a new one for $125 at cost. We also started carrying the P5B Vanilla v1.03G, I think it's $170 (I'll check later). I'm also still selling my MSI board, asking price $140. LMK if you're interested in that one, I'll knock off a few extra bucks for ya. :)

And for the love of god, get that X2 chilled! :D

abit aw9d-max :D

Or, you could do what hipro did at XS, with unsoldering all those components and putting them in the back.

mavalpha said:
And for the love of god, get that X2 chilled! :D

Yeah, I was kind of busy making one for a "Friend: ;)
It is sad to see it at 2.7 on air when the potential is there isn't it? :rolleyes:

Looks good. Any of them are better then the ECS POS I got in trade with my E6300. I can not do 1.9 on it stable :(

I know that feeling, and sorry to hear it. I'm still struggling with my PowerUp! board- it seems to brick around 366FSB, regardless of chipset voltage. It's doing 2.8 with stock Vcore, but 3.0 fails regardless of settings.

Digital PWM for?
If you mean voltage regulation, I would much prefer well designed linear regulation. PWM gives good efficiecny but not the greates signal (and all PWM is digital btw :p)
It's like talking about vacuum tubing vs digital IC amplification... we know which one is ultimately better but lot of times, cost just doesn't justify it....

True, but the low-profile PWM circuitry makes it much easier to cut out the insulation for a compressor. That's what this thread was originally about, not which technology was superior.

Back