Good controller for ps2 emulation?

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
Wanted to mess around with a ps2 emulator and had just gotten it to work, but pretty much most of the games I have need some analog sticks to actually work. Anyone have any suggestions for a good game pad for ps2 games? I was thinkin about getting a ps2 to usb adapter for my controllers, but was also wondering is it possible to get a bluetooth adapter for the ps3 controller as well? Or anyone else have some good experience with a 3rd party controller like logitech?

I'd searched through this forum and saw most people enjoyed using the xbox 360 wired or wireless controller, but i'd prefer ps2 type. Specifically wondering if people have had a good experience with the ps2/usb adapter.

I recently bought a 360 wired controller for this exact same thing. Like you, I had got a ps2 emulator working and it was very hard to mimic the two analog sticks using a mouse. I would say, anything with two analog sticks will work just fine. I thought I read somewhere that you can hook your PS2 controller to your PC and it will work with some driver downloads... or maybe that was the PS3 controller.

something on topic: you can get a number of controllers that are essentially identical to the PS2 controller (like the Logitech Rumblepad 2), or the PS3 controller (go here for instructions). PS2 controllers will need an adapter, but you can certainly find them.

I personally use a 360 pad, which is handy because i find it world's more comfortable than the PS pads, and it's out-of-the-box compatible with any new game that it makes sense to use with.

something off topic: does Katamari work? I'm dying to get a Katamari fix but I don't have a PS2 :(

The PS2 usb adapter worked well years ago, I dont remember having any problems with it.

I now use the wireless 360 controller though.

I love using my ps3 controller on my pc...too bad it isnt officially supported. Like wtf?

You can buy a $10 Blutooth adapter and use your PS3 controller. Plug in the PS3 controller, it detects and installs and shows all the buttons etc in the gamepad configuration. Then you need the adapater to pick up the signal.

I use my Belkin n45 and i played GTA Vice City with it and it's perfect. Shaped like a ps controller.

bigdog, are you sure you didn't need any drivers to get it to work? What operating system are you using and is it 32 or 64 bit? I always needed the drivers installed.

E.g. www.motioninjoy.com

Anyway, I definitely recommend the PS3 DualShock 3 controller as well. I got the white one and it's amazing for emulation. Haven't tried it on PCSX2 yet but it works great for every other emu I've thrown at it. So many buttons is a *huge* plus...

I got a question, how does PCSX2 work???? do you need to put in the original dvd on the dvd drive of the PC? or this uses roms of the original PS2 games?

logitech rumblepad 2...works great.

I also use this for playing RBI Baseball on nintendo emu with friends on a few occasions =D

Seems like a lot of PCSX2 users go for the Logitech Rumblepad 2. I just ordered one since I like the design more than the 360's.

I got a question, how does PCSX2 work???? do you need to put in the original dvd on the dvd drive of the PC? or this uses roms of the original PS2 games?

You can use either the original dvd or a backup image of the game. The backup image on the hard drive would probably have faster read times though. To actually get PCSX2 to work, you'll need a working image of the ps2 bios.

I use my 360 controller... it works very nice imo. I used to use a ps2 > usb converter which worked pretty well but without deadzone calibration (thanks M$) it was sort of flaky... I've also had this problem with several logitech gamepads over the years (since DX9/10 came out). The ms pads have always worked perfectly though

could you guys pm me what software and roms you are using and where you got them. I can't get the damn thing to work .

could you guys pm me what software and roms you are using and where you got them. I can't get the damn thing to work .

/facepalm

If you can't figure out the Google, then I'm afraid any information relayed to you via PMs would be a waste of time.

Edit: On topic, I'm using a wireless 360 pad and it seems to be working fine. Only problem I have was I couldn't set the rumble motors properly (could only use the large one) but I haven't messed around with other plugins or looked for any fixes as its not a big deal to me.

Last edited:
Logitech DualAction. My favorite gamepad ever. Cheap too, at ~$20, if you can even find one anymore. It's shaped exactly like a PSX/PS2 controller.

How good are PS2 emulators these days? I've never tried an emulator that worked even half way decently.

Also, you guys made me research the wired Xbox 360 controller, so I'm headed out to buy. Seems like they are great for the PC.

From what I gathered online, RumblePad 2 is the best

But one thing I dislike is Logitech's D-pad, its one single piece and it tend to register a vertical key when you press on a horizontal key, and vice versa. I had a older Logitech and that D-pad design gave me nightmare.

But now, I'm just a cheap user, using some unknown made in China gamepad, it cost 1/3 of rumblepad 2 and comes with the vibration features, and best of all is the D-pad that feels like the good old PS dual shock controller. Actually the entire controller looks like a knock off version of the PS dual shock controller, except that its for PC :D

How good are PS2 emulators these days? I've never tried an emulator that worked even half way decently.

Also, you guys made me research the wired Xbox 360 controller, so I'm headed out to buy. Seems like they are great for the PC.
PCSX2 have made good progress. Many games work, but title like Mortal Kombat series and Gran Turismo 4 still takes a lot of CPU power. Most user who can run them well are using overclocked CPU

Awesome, thanks for the replies. Been trying for the past few days to connect a ps3 controller and that's just caused a massive headache. I'll look around and check out that logitech game pad and the xbox controller.

I'll ask my buddy what he did, but I know he was able to use his ps3 controller on his PC somehow (maybe a custom driver?)

or just go with a 360 pad, really can't go wrong with either :)

I'll ask my buddy what he did, but I know he was able to use his ps3 controller on his PC somehow (maybe a custom driver?)

or just go with a 360 pad, really can't go wrong with either :)
You plug your PS3 in, let it install the controller. Then you buy a Bluetooth adapter for the PC, plug that in, link them up, and play.

I also got my ps3 controller to work in windows but you will need drivers for them. Google "sixaxis drivers" and it should be the first link. The ps3 controller is the best for emulators IMO.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back