Good clock/temp for 7800 gt?

Adrnshw6

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
172
I have a Evga 7800 gt that I have overclocked using coolbits from stock 445Mhz/1.07 Ghz to 491/1.16
I idle at about 41C and load at around 55-63C

Anything above around my overclock and I artifact at load.
If I buy a new GPU cooler such as this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683511811
would it make much of a difference on my overclock? Or is my clock now limited to the physical card, not temperature?

If that is the max clock my card can due at any temp then I will keep the stock cooler, since it doesn't matter if it gets a bit toasty, due to Evga's lifetime warranty, but If I can achieve a better clock with a better cooler then great.
 
those look like fine temperatures to me. A third party cooler may help a little, but mainly by reducing the noise, not that much by allowing better oc's
 
I have been running my evga geforce 7800 gt at 494/1.20 now for awhile and I get like 65 at a load. I have had no problems or artifacts or freezing. I tried 505/1.20 but it froze at one point so I went back to 494 (not like the performance gain is noticable anyways). Other then that I have not tried pushing it farther. But anyways, I asked about temps and 65 at a load is just fine. I got good case cooling too (like 25c ambient). And as for higher clocks, temp doesnt seem to matter. Its all in the specific card u got. They are all different when it comes to oc.
p.s, my evga is the "base" model, no fancy cooler.
 
GPU are really more heat resistan then cpu. 65c is allright. we have seen 7800GT running at 75c. Mine idles at 50c (it is not the normal GT, it is the GT-CO so the core is already overclocked to 475.

dont worry, you have found the max you can have with the card. now go play :p
 
Back
Top