Good cheap psu for ati 5850

I have a 5850 and I use a squirrel running in a wheel. Honestly the 5850 doesn't take much. But.. I make this recommendation not lightly.. buy the best PSU you can afford. I have an antec truepower 750w and I only have 1 HD, 1 BD, a sound card and a 5850.. you cannot skimp on Power supplies.

Way overkill.
A decent 500w should be fine as long as you arent expecting to upgrade soon in the future. Using a lower wattage power supply isn't considering skimping if you don't need the extra power.

Way overkill.
A decent 500w should be fine as long as you arent expecting to upgrade soon in the future. Using a lower wattage power supply isn't considering skimping if you don't need the extra power.

Agrred

I used a Corsair HX 520 with my former HD5850

It's tough to find supplies under 550w with two built-in PCI-E Connectors, and that was one of the few.

I've seen antec Earthwatts 650W for $60. Great supply and would be plenty for whatever you're doing with a single HD5850.

Sorry.. I wasn't trying to say he needed a 750w. I was saying don't go cheap.
While my PS is totally overkill I bought with the idea I would like to sli or xfire at some point. But more importantly I wanted something that was efficient and good quality. I see too many people going.. oh look.. no name brand cheapy 500w power supply..

and then complaining when nothing works right.

Im not saying i recommend this for other people. I have used about a 6-7 Coolermaster 460watt extreme PSU for $29 w/free shipping each on 5870's for bitcoin mining. Never had a problem with the 460watt powering my system and hashing bitcoins 24x7 for nearly a year. 5850's are extremely power efficient they run at a much lower clock speed and voltage then the 5870. it does lack a 2nd 6 pin connecter so i had to use an adapter which i dont like.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Elite-Supply-RS460-PSARI3-US/dp/B002G1YPHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362685552&sr=8-1&keywords=coolermaster+460watt

my system is consuming about 260 watts bitcoin mining is about 20% harder on the PSU then World of Warcraft or Rift too. Avoid no name power supplies, but i have no problem recommending 2nd tier ones.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back