• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

good, cheap 19v ac-dc adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dell (and lenovo/hp) adapters typically have larger barrel tips. this board needs something smaller,

from the manual:
This jack accepts dual barrel plugs with an inner diameter of
2.5 mm and an outer diameter of 5.5 mm, where the inner contact is +19V (±10%) DC and the shell is GND

which sounds to be more in-line with plugs used on Asus/Gateway/Toshiba/Acer laptops.

and yes I know there are "tons" on newegg, but most aren't actually sold by newegg, and the ones that are don't really have good reviews. Not sure if the people buying them are just stupid or if they're really that bad.

first-hand experience, anyone?
 
I'd honestly wouldn't consider anything less than 65 watts. I'd look to get a 90 watt laptop power brick. I tested my alienware m11x 90 watt power brick for a physics project a year ago and found that at a rated 19.5 volt output, it was putting out 19.65 volts. Then with a variac I was able to adjust the input voltage from 135 volts all the way down to 80 volts and it was able to output still a steady 19.5 volt output. Unfortunately, I forget how efficient it was but it was around 80% at 50% load if I recall. I'd try to get a 90 watt dell/alienware/ect power brick and just buy the correct barrel plug and then solder it on. If you don't have any soldering experience, this would be a simple great project to learn. Most power supplies are most efficient when run at 50% load.

Mouser is a great place to buy electronic parts. This barrel plug is good for 5 amps so you'd be good to almost 100 watts.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...hLPOoItSzw==&gclid=COGxgJXiqcACFScV7Aod0HAAFg
 
Whatever you get, be sure it's UL listed because uncertified PSUs are real junk that lack protection features like overvoltage shutdown. A UL listed AC adapter will have a lot more parts inside it.
 
Are you by chance going to run esxi on it?
I had thought about getting one since I don't run more then 1 vm at a time.

no, just pfsense.

Hmm apparently these cheap AM1 chips all support virtualization technology? that's interesting.

why run esxi if you're running only one vm?
 
Whatever you get, be sure it's UL listed because uncertified PSUs are real junk that lack protection features like overvoltage shutdown. A UL listed AC adapter will have a lot more parts inside it.
As I understand it the problem is many fake PSUs reproduce the UL certification on the back of the adapter regardless of whether they have it or not..?
 
no, just pfsense.

Hmm apparently these cheap AM1 chips all support virtualization technology? that's interesting.

why run esxi if you're running only one vm?

I have multiple VM's, but just run 1 at a time. Its just for learning really, but would like to leave it running 24/7.
 
Thanks for the help everyone. the one I mentioned earlier that I purchased has been working great (Delta brand). Hefty, certifications check out, everything running stable.

For <$20, definitely an A+!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top