• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good card for 100-150??

BoogerB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
172
I'm fixing to build a new system and want a decent card. I won't play games a ton, but would like a decent card if I do get into games. Doesn't have to be badass just a good quality card.

Also do any decent cards have dual monitor outs? or would I need a pci card for another monitor?
 
For that price range your best bet is a 9600 Pro for $145 or for $169 getting a BFG 5900NU.
 
ok, do you like Newegg? if so go to newegg.com click on by category then video cards then put your price limit in the excellent search engine...
you will find various good cards to choose from. Now, if you want to go on the cheaper side - close to $100 - go with a 9600 standard 128mb card (as the 9600 standard 256mb uses old memory and doesnt benefit from the additional memory.) Note: most 9600 standard cards do NOT have active cooling. This can be a plus for a quieter computer or a minus as overclocking is limited.
Now if you really decide to get serious (or semi-serious) with gaming go with the $150 range 9600 Pro (or XT if you can get a good sale on it) or the nvidia 5700 (replaces the dog 5600) AVOID: the EZ or SE ati cards as they are lesser editions not worth the price AND the nvidia XT edition as it is the opposite of ATI's XT - it sucks like the ATI SE/EZ...
Now if memory serves there is a program bundled with the ATI cards that allow for dual monitor connects - I havent tried it myself so I dont know if it works well with games or not...
Hope this helps
 
Originally posted by HvyMtl
Now if you really decide to get serious (or semi-serious) with gaming go with the $150 range 9600 Pro (or XT if you can get a good sale on it) or the nvidia 5700 (replaces the dog 5600) AVOID: the EZ or SE ati cards as they are lesser editions not worth the price AND the nvidia XT edition as it is the opposite of ATI's XT - it sucks like the ATI SE/EZ...
Now if memory serves there is a program bundled with the ATI cards that allow for dual monitor connects - I havent tried it myself so I dont know if it works well with games or not...
Hope this helps
Please stop trying to compare ATI's SE/EZ naming conventions to NVIDIA's SE/XT. They are not even close to equal. NVIDIA doesn't cripple the core like ATI does. The 5900SE is a great card.
 
Originally posted by obs
Please stop trying to compare ATI's SE/EZ naming conventions to NVIDIA's SE/XT. They are not even close to equal. NVIDIA doesn't cripple the core like ATI does. The 5900SE is a great card.

Agree with that statement. The ATI's SE/EZ designation (as applied to the entire 9### series) actually cripples the internal pipelines within the GPU and/or memory bus width, in addition to slowing down both the GPU and memory clock rate, compared to the "standard" versions of the same GPU. NVIDIA's SE/XT designation, on the other hand, merely uses significantly slower GPU and memory clock rates than the "plain" versions of the same GPU.
 
ok, so they aren't exactly the same ATI SE/EZ vs Nvidia XT - but the result from these is slower cards... and I still suggest you avoid the lower end/mid range ati se/ez AND nvidia xt. Now if one was to find a 5900 xt for really low $$$, well that might be different... (heck might even be like the 4200ti of lore ... or so I hope)
Now for brands ATI, Sapphire, Power color, Albatron, Hercules, Leadtek, Abit, Asus, chaintech, MSI I have heard good info on -
Jaton used to be low end so I avoid it (hopefully that has changed)
as for XFX I dont know - anyone use XFX with success or failure? Evga?
In recent history (like past two years or so) most video card manufacturers have "tightened up" their quality (I believe due to more competition) and many have also followed the set standard for the cards set by ATI & Nvidia. In many cases a ATI badged will be the same standard spec that the Sapphire or Power Color etc. will be. In some cases the only difference is the supplied software. My suggestion, look hard and come up with a few brands & model numbers that look good to you, then ask about them.
Again go with 9600 128 for the $100-110 range and the 9600 Pro (XT if you can find one for this price EDIT: $157-160+ for 9600XT) or 5700 in the $150 range.
 
Back
Top