• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good Canon Camera For ~$300?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Messages
1,330
The family is looking to buy a new digital camera. They will mostly just be sharing them on the web and sometimes 5x7 prints. I figured 5-7.1MP should be enough. I am really liking the A series... the buttons on the S series seem pretty cramped, besides I fear my little sisters would easily break it due to the way you have to hold it from the edges. Plus I would like a few manual options for when I use it.

I am leaning towards the A540 ($180 Shipped). However, the max budget is $300ish so maybe there is a better option? Would it be worth paying little extra for the S3 IS?

Thanks in advance for any feedback :c)
 
I bought my wife the A510 for her birthday 2 years ago and it's served us very well. The A540 is basically the same, just a few better specs, so you should like it even better. They're nice because they work great for point and shoot, but if you learn all the functions you can do some near-pro photography with them.

Newegg has a special right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830120068

If you can stretch your budget that far, thats what I would go for, considering you get the 1gb card for free and the camera is probably the best in it's price range. However, if you're like me and have other monetary considerations, the A540 is another great camera and for what you described it should suit your needs very well.
 
Yeah I have heard alot about that camera. If it is really worth the little extra money then I'll go for it. As long as its under $350. I just said $300 because we would need memory card and such. However, since its 10MP... won't I have to crop it alot to send online?
 
Yeah I have heard alot about that camera. If it is really worth the little extra money then I'll go for it. As long as its under $350. I just said $300 because we would need memory card and such. However, since its 10MP... won't I have to crop it alot to send online?

Yes, if you shoot in max quality mode all the time. However, a program like irfanview can batch resize images for you.
 
Think I might go with the A630. It comes very very close with the A640... however the A640 is SLIGHTLY less noise at higher ISO's. But that does not justify the $80 price difference.

I am going to do a little more research, but looks like I will just grab a A630 along with a 1GB memory card, nice case/tripod with the extra savings.

Yep did few hours of research. Going with the A630 :c)
 
We have an SD630 at work for our service dept, it works great, takes nice shots. The 3" screen is AWESOME.
 
Yeah I got the A630 the other night. Great camera! Also got some Sanyo Eneloop batteries... these things are legendary. Mine were made in August 2006, yet they still had 80% charge!!!

My 2GB Sandisk Ultra II memory card should come in tomarrow. Got it for $22 shipped on eBay, brand new :c) I can only take 5 pics with the 16MB card it came with lmao
 
I just picked up a panasonic DMC-FX10 from FRYs for a walkaround camera. I needed something tiny to fit in a pocket or in my laptop bag, and had to NOT use CF (laptop has a media reader built in that doesnt read CF, and I didnt want to carry an extra adaptor) or XD (XD is still way expensive)

This uses SD (I got a 1G card for 17 bucks :) ) and has optical image stabilization.
Only 3x optical zoom, but this is just a walkaround and I wanted as small as possible.

Only $199 too :)
 
Back
Top