Good cable testing equipment

versello

2[H]4U
Was wondering what everyone else uses for testing cables (specifically ethernet)? Toning, wiring, breaks, length, etc.

I use a Fluke Link Runner. I got tired of the generic ones giving me poor info. The fluke will also pull DHCP, ping, I can assign it a static address, etc. It's one of the most useful pieces of equipment I have. Depending on the switch you're plugged in to it can also tell you what port it's plugged in to on the switch.

uh, a generic cable tester.

Thanks for your half-assed stoned answer. Not exactly what I was looking for as this said "generic cable tester" (which my company has) has been acting up and needs to be replaced with a more reliable piece of equipment.

Thanks for your half-assed stoned answer. Not exactly what I was looking for as this said "generic cable tester" (which my company has) has been acting up and needs to be replaced with a more reliable piece of equipment.

Sorry, thats just what i'm using right now, and i'm not stoned, lol just busy as hell.

Anyway, i have used a fluke before they are pretty nice, i couldn't tell you a model number though, but they are worth looking at.

+1 for the LinkRunner, rather pricey. I think I paid ~$500, but I billed the cost to a few customers to pay for it. Definitely pays for itself.

If your company is purchasing it, go for the Link Runner Pro. It will do POE as well. Tells you voltage, etc. Link Runner is about $400-$500 and the Link Runner Pro is about $900-$1000. Both work great. I have used (and own) many other testers as well and the Link Runner beats them all.

Anyone know what switches are compatible with the feature that lets you see which port you're connected to? I've tried to find documentation, but just found "CDP/EDP precisely determines port location on Cisco and Extreme devices."

edit: Nevermind... I'm a little slow today.

Anyone know what switches are compatible with the feature that lets you see which port you're connected to? I've tried to find documentation, but just found "CDP/EDP precisely determines port location on Cisco and Extreme devices."

Good question, I've had it work only a handful of times and they were all Cisco switches but I don't recall which models they were. Maybe I'll go home a try it on my 2960G and see if it works.

I've never looked into it, but I just did. It looks like ALL cisco devices (switches, routers, etc) support cdp (Cisco Discovery Protocol) and the Extreme switches support edp (Extreme Discovery Protocol). On the Cisco gear, it should be enabled by default but there are configurations that need/can be made. It can be disabled as well.

How long until they all trash CDP/EDP and get on the bus with LLDP?

Another vote for the link runner, we have one of those and a Fluke CableIQ. Overall the tech's take the LinkRunner alot more than the CableIQ as the LinkRunner can do ping/dhcp testing at the same time. The CableIQ seems to work better when trying to locate two ends of a cable along a long cable run but for the price the LinkRunner is really nice and does what we need and then some.

We use an Agilent Wirescope 350. It is very pricey, but does a magnificent job testing everything. Including Cat 3, Cat 5&6 and single/multi mode fiber as well.

Take a look at the Fluke Cable IQ. Decently priced and does a great job. I used it all the time. What a time saver.

Depends on what you want to test about your cables. Fluke makes a HUGE variety of testers and some will be more useful than others for various purposes. If you want all of the physics information about the cable itself and have it tell you if your cat 6 cable is up to spec, they make a tester for that. If you want to be able to plug into a wall jack and see if you're getting a connection, a DHCP network address, and CDP/EDP/LLDP information, then they make a tester for that.

The LinkRunner Pro was pricey and has a taste for AA batteries, but I love that thing for the second scenario above.

But yeah, Fluke makes testers you can count on. They know it, though, and their prices reflect that.

(they've got a chart somewhere on their website that shows what all of their things can do and what they're good for.)

I use a cheap $13 chinese continuity testing unit for RJ45 that I bought down at First Saturday in Dallas years and years ago. Works like a champ for the home stuff I do.

I'd love to have a fancy dancy Fluke unit but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the price. But it sure would look cool!

I also have a cheap generic toner unit that I use that has more than paid for itself in identifying lines in my rats nest up in the attic.

Back