Good but reasonably priced network monitor software?

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

We are currently using Quest's Big Brother which is not good to say the least. We are pretty much set on transitioning over to Paessler's IPCheck after doing their eval for a while. Does anyone have any other suggestions that we may have missed along the way. Price needs to stay around $2500 which should include a year of support.

what do you want it to monitor?
Just ping, services, disk space, processor, network utils on switches/routers?
Does it have to have active notifications, different alert level, escalation to different parties?
how many servers?

We use one called groundworks that based on the OSS nagios.

We also use cacti for graphing, but that doesn't do notifications very well.

Looking to monitor events, ping, services, disk space, processor, switches, routers, processes, everything basically. It has to have active email alerts, different levels, escalations, etc. About 40 servers right now but needs to grow to at least 100.

We are a Windows only shop and moving away from a unix based monitoring system that is ugly and are moving toward a more professional/corporate feel and nagios isn't that as well as it might work.

We need to monitor servers at remote locations mainly, not on the LAN so it needs to work over the internet.

Groundworks Pro is way too expensive, I just gave them a call. will check out solarwinds

http://www.ipmonitor.com/default.aspx

I have used this for a few years now. It works well, i use it to monitor servers, network equipement, services etc. It works well, its easy to set up, reporting is good. They have a free trial and it fairly inexpensive. I thing its around $1000 per 500 ip's.

What about a solution like nagios? I personally haven't used it in a few years but when I did it was pretty nice. Getting it all setup was somewhat of a pain but the software was free. If you look around you should be able to find someone with some experience with nagios and get a pretty nice system setup for $1500 to $2500.

Looking to monitor events, ping, services, disk space, processor, switches, routers, processes, everything basically. It has to have active email alerts, different levels, escalations, etc. About 40 servers right now but needs to grow to at least 100.

We are a Windows only shop and moving away from a unix based monitoring system that is ugly and are moving toward a more professional/corporate feel and nagios isn't that as well as it might work.

We need to monitor servers at remote locations mainly, not on the LAN so it needs to work over the internet.

Groundworks Pro is way too expensive, I just gave them a call. will check out solarwinds

Nagios not 'corporate/professional'? Hmm.. I'll have to mention that to all the local data centers that use it for hardware monitoring.

What I mean is that it does not look and feel like a boxed solution we would want to show customers. We provide system monitoring as part of a service for clients that we manage and managers, while they do want something functional also like to see things looking nice. This holds even more true when it comes to executives. While I have no doubt that nagios is a good system monitor it is a pain to setup and simply isn't the right fit.

What I mean is that it does not look and feel like a boxed solution we would want to show customers. We provide system monitoring as part of a service for clients that we manage and managers, while they do want something functional also like to see things looking nice. This holds even more true when it comes to executives. While I have no doubt that nagios is a good system monitor it is a pain to setup and simply isn't the right fit.

okay, im going to step in right about now:p Nagios is used by the largest fast food chain(don't have the say the name) in the world to monitor their entire wireless infrastructure as well as their corporate infrastructure. I personally have used Nagios and find it very scalable and professional looking.

It sounds like you want something that doesn't take much to get it off the ground, so the perfect tool would be IPmonitor, ghopke beat me to it!;) I have be using IPmonitor for a few years as well and its a very stable and scalable program(with the proper licensing). But one word of warning, it likes good hardware... Im not saying that you can't run it on a shit box... but if you do and have 1500+ monitors you might stumble upon a few unfixed memory leaks:rolleyes:

Is there a nice freebie out there for those of us that just want to monitor a home network with a few servers, printers, desktops, laptops, etc... ?

-Larry

Is there a nice freebie out there for those of us that just want to monitor a home network with a few servers, printers, desktops, laptops, etc... ?

-Larry

Nagios, learn it..... it will make you very marketable.

Back