Good brands for 24 port switch under $600

ZeroOne

Limp Gawd
Anyone know what are good brands for network switches with 24 port 10/100/1000
so far I looked at
Netgear and Linksys

I also noticed trendware haspretty good prices but never heard of the company before.

i would look at the cisco 2950s, you can get a refurb for under 600, or a new one for 700something

If this is for business use it going to be tough. Even HP doesn't have a good GIGE switch with 24 ports for that price. You are better of buying a nice 24 port 10/100. Your request is unrealistic if you want a quality switch that can handle a decent user load.

He didnt say anything about the switch being for a business. Just has to be 10/100/1000.

if it was me and I needed gigabit that many ports, I would just try for a few 8 port 10/100/1000 refurb netgear 8 port switches. link each to eachother. aggregate will only be 1Gbit but hey that ought to be ok, and if you end up needing more you can FS/FT them for near what you spent if you get them refurb and go ahead and get a sinlge 'big dog' switch.

I'd go with either a cisco switch or a linksys switch.... i'm not a big fan of dlink...

Netgear and linksys work great for SOHO. I would never put one in a business network. HP makes some of the best switches for a lot less than cisco, epsecially if you don't require all of the managment features you get with Cisco IOS.

forgot to say: for a business, go to some reseller / liquidator and find a HP procurve.
incredible stuffs!

LadyJaqie said:
forgot to say: for a business, go to some reseller / liquidator and find a HP procurve.
incredible stuffs!

oh yeah, i completely forgot about the procurves, have many clients that use em... good stuff.

Scheizekopf said:
I'd lean towards the Linksys 24 port gigabit.

we have one of them at the lan party i admin at.. its a nice switch.. built in fans, 1u form..

nick_sabatino said:
Yeah, how is that Dell switch metioned by elguapo?

The biggest impact in the GigE world is support for Jumbo Frames (http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/jumbo-clean-gear.html) and, per the chipset specifications, the dell does not support Jumbo Frames however there's nothing stopping Dell from loading up their own custom firmware which does -- your best bet is to call them and make sure before you make the decision to buy.

The 5xxx (5212+) series supposedly does support MTU 9018 settings for increased gigabit performance (jumbo frames support) so if you can find a refurb one online or at the Dell Outlet that may be your best value from Dell for true gigabit performance.

As for the quality of the dell switches, I love my 2216 - it has been one of the best switches I've ever used and I've used quite a few.

But as has been mentioned; if it's for an enterprise/corporate installation then I would not recommend going with anything less than an HP or Cisco managed switch. There are simply too many management options made available by having a good managed switch to pass up. For SOHO or LAN use though, go for it. =)

yeah, thats why i was wondering what the application was for this switch is. If its something like a small office environment, then this is probably perfect. I personally havent had much experience with the 24 port gigabit, but the smaller ones have been great to me.

so what exaclty is this jumbo frames or more impotantly, how does it affect performance?

Follow the link in my post above as it gives general overview. You can also Google for "Jumbo Frames" and find alot of sites such as this one:

http://sd.wareonearth.com/~phil/jumbo.html

That site goes into it a bit and explains some things; a good overview if you have a decent understanding of basic networking.

Essentially a gigabit switch without Jumbo Frames may performance is at best generally only 2-5 times faster than a fast ethernet setup (not quite the 10x speed you'd expect from just the numbers but ymmv) and may actually take more CPU cycles to do so; while a similarly configured gigabit network with support for Jumbo Frames will perform much faster with less resource consumption since the CPU does not have to work so hard and more data is actually being transferred per packet.

keep in mind that often cheaper 24 port gigabit switches don't support full bi-section, or do not have full crossbars. This means that they cannot support 24 nodes talking in full duplex at wirespeed simultaneously. This might not be a big deal for some of you, but it's a big deal if you're looking for an enterprise class solution or even if you're just looking to fill all 24 ports.

Back